• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Not eating.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
So ive had him on a regular pinky rat one day and then the next day super worms and turkey and he was doing fine and growing fast, but i wanted to switch it up a bit and try new things since i heard rats/mice a few times a week was bad for him. So the past 3 days ive tried fish live, talapia, and the raw ground turkey not the stuff i was feeding him...and he wont accept any of it at all. so the past 3 days he hasnt eaten, not sure if its because the new foods im trying to introduce or something else but hes never had a problem with the normal stuff ive fed him, temps are perfect and so is humidity so im thinking its just the food ive offered, dont know what else to try or if i should keep trying these foods till he eats...i mean he has to get hungry eventually

Also almost all of his day is spent sleeping but he was coming up for a few hours to eat/bask/and get a bath. now he comes up, basks and doesnt eat, then goes under. maybe its that time of a year affecting it too, i really dont know

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
omgtaylorg said:
So ive had him on a regular pinky rat one day and then the next day super worms and turkey and he was doing fine and growing fast, but i wanted to switch it up a bit and try new things since i heard rats/mice a few times a week was bad for him. So the past 3 days ive tried fish live, talapia, and the raw ground turkey not the stuff i was feeding him...and he wont accept any of it at all. so the past 3 days he hasnt eaten, not sure if its because the new foods im trying to introduce or something else but hes never had a problem with the normal stuff ive fed him, temps are perfect and so is humidity so im thinking its just the food ive offered, dont know what else to try or if i should keep trying these foods till he eats...i mean he has to get hungry eventually

Also almost all of his day is spent sleeping but he was coming up for a few hours to eat/bask/and get a bath. now he comes up, basks and doesnt eat, then goes under. maybe its that time of a year affecting it too, i really dont know

It is not unusual at all for tegus to slow down this time of year. What kind of turkey were you feeding before? Also rodents a couple times a week are not bad, I do not know where you read that?

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
someone on here told me feeding them a pinky rat or a hopper 3-4 times a week could destroy their liver, but i read they are carnivores and can use the fat/protein alot their first year so i was iffy on that, and the rats are free so i used them every other day or 2. and i was feeding him turkey from the deli and he loved it, just wanted to try the ground turkey raw but he wont touch it, yet. but if rats/mice are fine more than twice a week than i can keep that up because he was growing like a weed with the diet he was on

Not to mention he has no hesitation when a rat is infront of him

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have never fed cooked turkey to my tegus. I have fed a lot of rodents in the diet before. I do this after females loose weight after the nesting season to help build them back up, and see no problems at all with having too much in the diet. I have heard of hair impactions, but this is usually linked to other problems and not due to just the rodents. I have never heard of any liver problems at all due to feeding rodents, this is a new one I have never even heard before.

Tux

5 Year Member
Liver problems from rodents? That's total BS, the fat/protein content isn't high enough to cause such at the rate you were feeding, their systems are designed to be eating rodents and other small animals. They are scavengers, it isn't like they are looking for low fat or low protein in the wild.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
well THANK you very much for clearing that up, like i said i was iffy when i heard that because I didnt see how that was possible to affect them since they are infact carnivores in the wild and would eat any small animal they came across and not in moderation to save their livers lol. But anyways thanks again Bobby/Tux...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214