• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

No one shows love for uros

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
The other forum im on (redtailboas.com) has beardeds, monitors, and almost everything else but Uromastyx's. I never get why no one ever talks about them or not near as much as beardeds becuase they are just as relaxed, lazy, characteristic, and fatter than a bearded.

I figured i would go ahead and post this becuase here this morning i am getting 2 Saharan Uros which i will be posting the pictures of them on this post as well as there cage i just built sunday/monday.

erk

5 Year Member
Here is Speedy:
Speedy_001.jpg

Speedy_002.jpg

Of all our reptiles, he is my wife's favorite. These pictures were taken months ago. I'll have to take some new shots, as he's grown quite a bit.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Really nice. If you can learn to captive raise them you'll be doing good. They aren't easy to breed as Beardies but if you can. You will be one ahead of most breeders. Uros will be the new beardie in a few years I beleive. I also think imports will soon be stopping on them. So anyone that can breed them will be one up on the competition.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
Really nice. If you can learn to captive raise them you'll be doing good. They aren't easy to breed as Beardies but if you can. You will be one ahead of most breeders. Uros will be the new beardie in a few years I beleive. I also think imports will soon be stopping on them. So anyone that can breed them will be one up on the competition.

Man, those are some awesome specimens to start off with too. Very pretty!

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
Yhea, i thought about breeding them but right now with school, my work out routiens, and working around the house i dont think i could handle the mental stress on breeding them lol. I am already stressing out about the care of these two Uros.

The fact of how outstandingly colored they are, i hope they decide to breed on their own like my buddies did and i can't quit going over in my mind on how to get their diet/heat/water perfect so i can have these two beautiful uros last another 27+ years.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
It's not really that hard. You just have to have the laying chamber fixed right. A dark tub and a piece of corragated pipe is about it for the laying box. They like it hot and dry. Unless they are skinny they don't even need water. Spring mix salad and insects dusted with T-Rex was what I used and mine loved it and done well. I had to sell them before I had a chance to breed them. The Yellow and red ones you have are really cool. I had the Nigerians.

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
Yeah, ive seen some set-ups for breeding it that isn't wahts hard, its the % chance of fertile eggs and hatching eggs. I know you can tell the fertile ones by a red ring visible on the eggs when laid but there are still pretty low %'s of eggs hatching, even with breeders in which have done it for a long time.

Right now my main concern is how active they are. Although i know this is the first day in there enclosure, they seems to try and climb the side of the wood walls alot lol and i don't want them to rub their noses raw. There is no glass on any of the sides so they can see out which i thought would help with them rubbing their nose but i guess not lol.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I used glass and mine never did try and rub their noses. They are very sight oriented. I think they like to see around. Maybe they feel they have fell in a hole and want out to see the world. LOL

ThePHX

5 Year Member
I love my uro hes got a funny personality! I always let him wander the house, he sureee seems to love it, hes finally getting out of his late sleeping schedule...

dorton

5 Year Member
I love uro's. Thanks for posting up. I have never had one, but every expo I go to I really have to just keep walking.
I have a friend with 1.2 that has them in a large naturalistic enclosure with local clay and they have tunnels throught. You can see in one spot where one of the females recently layed eggs.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I really do like them too and I am in the same boat as Dorton. I gotta do a quick glance and walk past em LOL.

However, I want to get into some Chuckwalla's before the Uro's. I like the idea of keeping native species and they are very similar to the Uro's!

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
Indeed Chucks are almost identical to Uros except larger and color. I believe the temps dont have to be as high either but even their bodies look identical.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu