• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Next step!

jaypops

Hey guys,

So there has been much progress with my baby gu! I can pick him up and gold him it out the cage with no issue. I did the bathtub once with him and he kind of freaked and just hid behind me. Didn't climb on me once. I will be doing it again, but wanted to know if there's another great bonding technique to make sure he grows up cuddly haha. I know every gu has thier own personality, but just curious to see what worked for other people! Thankss

Yutahji

So far, it's been time for me. I devote an hour or more a day to my hatchling, and patience is key. They are still trying to figure out the world, so teach them that you aren't a threat.

jaypops

So far, it's been time for me. I devote an hour or more a day to my hatchling, and patience is key. They are still trying to figure out the world, so teach them that you aren't a threat.
Ya i guess i should hold him longer now that he's getting better. It's just that he's still somewhat small and don't want him to take off n hide somewhere lol. He's approximately 14-18". He only cares about me when he's hungry, and doesn't want anything to do with me after he eats lol. I guess i can put a lamp over my legs and let him bask on me.

Yutahji

You have to consider it from their perspective. If all you do is feed him, and handle him for a couple minutes a day, he's going to think you're only useful for food. You can teach your tegu that you're a soft, warm, squishy thing that is huge, but too dumb to hurt you, and that's when they start to get clingy. After only two weeks, my tegu is already jumping onto my arms when I reach into her cage, and she climbs up to my shoulders. What can also help is don't feed him at the same time every day, or with the same routine. Hold him, then feed him or feed him then hold him, etc. Mix it up, then he's less likely to to view you as a feeding machine, and just a general provider of good things.

jaypops

You have to consider it from their perspective. If all you do is feed him, and handle him for a couple minutes a day, he's going to think you're only useful for food. You can teach your tegu that you're a soft, warm, squishy thing that is huge, but too dumb to hurt you, and that's when they start to get clingy. After only two weeks, my tegu is already jumping onto my arms when I reach into her cage, and she climbs up to my shoulders. What can also help is don't feed him at the same time every day, or with the same routine. Hold him, then feed him or feed him then hold him, etc. Mix it up, then he's less likely to to view you as a feeding machine, and just a general provider of good things.
Makes tonnes of sense. I was more worried if him freaking out and scurrying off. How did you get yours clingy? Just holding him longer?

Yutahji

Well I started off slow. For starters, her cage is right next to my computer, which I spend a lot of time at, so she sees me a lot without being interacted with. The room she is in is also tegu proof- she cannot get under anything, or put her tongue into an outlet, etc. so I let her roam around for at least an hour a day, occasionally picking her up, letting her crawl on me and such things. I've done the bathtub method twice now, which seems to really have helped. The trick is to spend time with them for at least an hour a day. Even right now, she is laying on my stomach under my shirt as I type this (and she willingly went into my shirt.) Try taking him out to sit with you while you watch tv, or read a book or whatever.

Also, it's important to let them be able to get away from you. Running away isn't necessarily bad if you have them in a safe area, don't chase after him, just let him come to you. He'll figure out pretty quickly that you won't hurt him if you let him do his own thing sometimes.

jaypops

Great tips. I tried the bathtub once but he did not like it. I figured the cold of the ceramic would make him want to spend time on me, but all he did was curl up in a corner and flinch every time I moved. Maybe I'll try again, and also try to have him on/with me on a rocking chair or my bed while i watch tv or study.

The point you brought up about it being good to let them wander off is quite relieving. Every time I take him out he want to take off, and i always thought how the hell will there be any progress if he spends more time getting away from me than chilling with me lol. Hopefully it's not too late, I doubt it though; he's only about 4-5 months old.

Yutahji

With the bathtub trick, it's normal for them to be afraid, or ignore you and look for a way out. To make it more comfortable, put a towel in there and setup some pillows so you can relax. Read a book, or play a game, and just let them do their thing. I noticed the most improvement with mine after I spent 2 hours in the tub with her.

jaypops

Ok. So I know what I'm doing tomorrow :) do you have more success before or after feeding? I know to switch it up, just curious.

Yutahji

She slows down a bit after feeding, but generally I like to feed her before putting her back, so she can warm up and digest properly before bed. But it's up to you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214