• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New yearling

Realitynh

[attachment=3634][attachment=3635]what's up guys, I'm Mike & I'm new to the forum/tegus. I have been doing research for about 6 months after I went to a friend's reptile store & was introduced to the Argentine b&w & fell in love! I have built a 6x3x3 for one & drove 4 hours away to an expo in NY this past Sunday (yesterday) in hopes to grab a baby. I know that babies are out of season right now so I settled with a 3 foot yearling. I'm pretty sure it's too early to be able to tell if it's a male or female right now, but we've named HIM Damien lol. Aside from being skiddish due to the long ride home & having him escape to behind the dashboard of my car for 3 hours, he's doing well. I am going to be running a 50 watt spot lamp, 3' 10 watt ReptiSun uvb & a Power Sun 100 watt. I will be dusting with Reptical minus d3 on all his food. I know I don't need to dust his turkey/egg, right? That will be his main meal(s) aside from an occasional live treat. I was contemplating on a weekly multivitamin also. Any help/advice would be great. I tried putting him in the tub with a feeder earlier but I had woken him up & he was pretty pissed & uninterested. I know that he would normally be hibernating, but I'm wondering if I should still wake him up right now & see if he's interested in some turkey. I also want to be handling him a lot right now, but I don't wanna disturb him. What should I do?

Attachments

• damien.jpg
    damien.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 7
  • damien2.jpg
    damien2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 9

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That yearling is looking Extremeish to me got any better pics :)? Since it's a yearling it should be or getting ready to show signs of being male or female by now. Check for one button just below the cloaca on each side if it's going to be a male. I don't really see any jowls developing from those pics. You can also watch when it poops to see if it's inverting it's hemipenes yet or leaving sperm plugs.

If it's female you won't see any of that. Also how long is it? Besides age they sometimes start to show signs around the 3ft mark as well.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Only offer food when she(?) comes out on her own. Make sure water is supplied, if you don't see her for a couple weeks, then she's probably down for the count. It sucks, I know! Especially when it's your first gu and you get them during this time, the time will pass though, on the bright side, if she's down for the count you can always take a vacation! But if she's burrowed, as previously stated, let her be until she comes out on her own, or at least leave her for a few days/weeks.

If you got any other questions, feel free to ask btw, we all ask questions at some point!

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This talk of it looking like an extreme might be solved, take a picture of the the jaw line, or just a picture of what the general area under the head, chin looks like. If it's a solid V, then it could be an extreme, but then again, some b/w's have been seen with it. I think they're pretty much the same thing as stated in previous threads, extremes just get a decent amount larger, but some b/w's can grow to that size.

Check the pictures on this thread over and then let us know what you think it is: http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=5840#axzz1ey5CWPHd

I can't find the thread that show's pics of the V I mentioned.

Realitynh

TeguBuzz said:
Only offer food when she(?) comes out on her own. Make sure water is supplied, if you don't see her for a couple weeks, then she's probably down for the count. It sucks, I know! Especially when it's your first gu and you get them during this time, the time will pass though, on the bright side, if she's down for the count you can always take a vacation! But if she's burrowed, as previously stated, let her be until she comes out on her own, or at least leave her for a few days/weeks.

If you got any other questions, feel free to ask btw, we all ask questions at some point!

Much appreciated! :D

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. Congrats On your tegu. I supplement everything except whole prey. Eggs are a decent occasional food, I would not make them part of a staple though. Live isn't really recommended, If you chose to do it anyway I would not do live rats. I've been known to do live mice here and there but for the most part I stick to f/t whole prey. Do you have any other pets?

Realitynh

rhetoricx said:
Welcome to the forum. Congrats On your tegu. I supplement everything except whole prey. Eggs are a decent occasional food, I would not make them part of a staple though. Live isn't really recommended, If you chose to do it anyway I would not do live rats. I've been known to do live mice here and there but for the most part I stick to f/t whole prey. Do you have any other pets?

Noted, thanx. We have a dog
[attachment=3636]

Attachments

• damien&seamus.jpg
    damien&seamus.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Looks a lot like an extreme or a really nice high white and my guess is female

A normal that could pass for chacoan
[attachment=3637]

Attachments

• DSCN2031f.jpeg
    DSCN2031f.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 4

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! and grats on the first gu! I say first cause like alot of other members you might get more..lol. Feel free to ask any and all questions even if it sounds stupid, theres also more than enough info on this site if you do some digging as well. As far as the live treat and turkey/egg you talked about earlier, that stuff is fine and dandy but you should also try other things as well. My tegus get a different type of food for every single day of the week including whole prey once a week and they love it all, you have to start them on a variety early or they tend to get hooked on a certain type of food and you dont want that because the variety of different things is what they need. I suggest things like ground turkey(with a tbsp of cod liver oil once a week) of course, chicken gizzard, beef liver, telapia, whole prey once a week RATS>MICE(more nutritional value), boneless/skinless chicken, I also do lean beef chunks that people use for things like stew(they love it), etc etc. Ask about any food you arent sure of. I also dust all of this with the zoomed repti calcium except the whole prey. Having the well rounded diet provides them with all of the essential vitamins and protein they need to promote good sheds and growth. Also like others have said above, that looks very much like an extreme to me

Realitynh

Thanx a lot man. How would I go about preparing the turkey for him or her? And should I leave 1 of his lamps on all night? If I don't, it will surely drop down to around 60...

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Realitynh said:
Thanx a lot man. How would I go about preparing the turkey for him or her? And should I leave 1 of his lamps on all night? If I don't, it will surely drop down to around 60...

60 is nothing for gu's. Sobek's lights go out at night and in this weather his temps are around 62 degrees at night, he's fine with it. When I had my reds and one b/w, I use to house them outside and temps would get easily in the 48-53 range with no problems.

As for ground turkey, a tbspn of Cod liver oil/pound of turkey, raw turkey of course. I put vitamins in his foods once a week, calcium w/out D3 twice a week, and that's about it. Taylors points on a varied diet are absolutely right, provide your gu with a wiiiiiiiide variety of food to prevent pickiness. And yea, your gu looks mor like an extreme.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Ya like buzz said I like my house cool at night when I sleep so the inside of my guus tank is anywhere from 62-66 at night with no problems. Temps drop pretty low in the wild while the tegus are hibernating so as far as them being able to handle extreme temps they are perfectly fine, 60-65 is nothing

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980