• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New to Tegus

G

I am new to owning a Tegu. The one I've got came from a friend who got it from a friend who found it in their yard. my ? is that I am seeing alot of contradictor stuff about what they should eat, like mice or not, fruit or not and I am just needing to know the best diet for mine, it is an Argintine black and white. One more ? is this ...I have been letting it out side (on a leash) and it is getting where when it is time to go in he/she ( don't know the sex) gets a little attitude about going back inside..... hissing and stuff, but once he/she gets in they are fine..... is this normal behavior?

G

It sounds just like one .. Mice are an important food source that they can`t do with out at least one or two a week .. Ground turkey chicken necks livers ect .. Beef liver, fish, salmon. trout Veggies and fruit .. All but the mice should be dusted with calcium .. Think variety.. Make sure he gets his mouse or rat [pre killed ]

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In the summer months when I let my tegu free roam outdoors... He is quite peaceful, not at all afraid of me nor others (including active children). Anyone can easily approach him and pet him. But, when it's time to pick him up, he resists. Not so much with hissing but with alagator rolls and scratching...

Once inside, he regains his normal perosnality of being the absolute sweetest pet I've ever owned...

If you look around this forum you'll see a few threads with wonderful information regarding diet.

Mice, rats, chicks or other 'whole prey' are very good for a Tegu in the sense that they contain bones (calcium) and very nutritous organs. But on the downside they have a high fat content, so a 'whole prey only' diet is not ideal.

Some will eat friuts and/or vegetables, some will not. If yours will, then feel free to offer him as much as he'll eat. If he won't eat them, do not worry in the least.

The best approach is, as mentioned above, variety...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu