• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu

brianratm

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Okay so today is Jan.28. I had a Argentine Black and White delivered to me on Friday Jan.23. It spends most of its time burrowed, but at times it is very active. It is between 12-15 inches. It has only eaten once since I got it and that meal only consisted of 2 or 3 crickets. I have also tried mealworms, hard boiled eggs and ground turkey; no interest. It seems healthy except for the lack of appetite and it does appear rather skinny. I just had it out and it was running around the floor flicking its tongue, seemed healthy. Is it just because it is winter? I have full spectrum UVA, UVB lighting, a humidity gague and two thermometors so I know it is in the correct conditions.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
you might want to try a whole prey item like a pinky mice, mine loved them around that size, not to mention its one of the best things they can eat, rodents have all the needed stuff in them. And yes...they do infact slow down eating and activity in the winter and most will actually burrow completely and not come up for months...i honestly wouldnt worry too much if your humidity and lighting is all correct just keep at it. and try the pinky

BeeoBee

5 Year Member
Im in the same boat, I also picked up the same size black and white argentine from LLL Reptile in the New York Metro Reptile Expo this sunday. My plan was to give them a call tomorrow to see what they had them on.

Love the site helped me out alot

brianratm

5 Year Member
Sounds good, Please post what information you get. My tegu is great other than not eating. He loves being handled and pet! No nervousness or aggression whatsoever!

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
another thing on that note, when you first get them to your house and into a completely diff enviroment, its best to let them be for a few days before you do anything with them, as in hold or feed them. They need to adjust to their new home before being messed with other wise they may be nervous and/or not eat as you say.

eyesamson

5 Year Member
i ordered my tegu from lllreptile as well..he didnt eat for about the first 2 weeks..ive had him since the 11th of december.. his appetite has picked up. he's now eating about two dozen crickets a day and a fuzzy every other day. and about 6 meal worms every other day as well.. ill put up some photos when i figure it out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029