• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu Owner Need help taming please !!

Kaley

I just got a sub adult Female B&W not sure if she was wild caught which from what i can tell is how most people acquire tegus here in FL, the guy said she had only been lightly handled .shes sweet when shes in her enclosure, likes to be petted and likes her head rubbed (she relaxes and closes her eyes). She doesn't run away or flinch when i put my arm and out of her enclosure (I do this multiple times a day ). I have tried the T shirt trick, resting my hand in her enclosure for about 15 min, gently rubbing her head and back. Has never tried to bite but as soon as i got to scoop her up (gently and slowly )she whips her tail and scrambles out of my hands. I know that it takes time but i am beginning to become a little disheartened. Any other tips? I would try the bathroom or water taming but i cant even lift her from her tank ( i don't have one that opens from the front just yet )

Danya

It's gonna be like that for a while, the scrambling to get away from you once she's out of her "safe" spot in her cage. You just have to keep trying to handle her (not to the point of stressing her out though) and be patient, she'll come around and realize that you are that cool thing that brings her food lol!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry about lifting yet. Keep being friends. Slide one hand under belly while petting/ scrathing with other. Eventually lift front end some. Can then put her on your chest She'll climb to shoulder.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus