• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu... Best way to tame him??

Goodyiishoes

I purchased a Red x BW from Underground Reptiles like 2 weeks ago, he arrived in perfect condition and is very healthy! I left him alone for 2 weeks, but made sure he was watching when I put his food and water in there and would sometimes just rest my hand in the enclosure so he would get used to me being around him... but nothing else. I feel like I've given him enough time to get used to his new home, so where should I go next? I've been hand feeding him a little but he usually gets scared so I'll just drop the food item at his feet and move my hand back a bit. He also lets me pet him for like 5-10 seconds max and then he walks away slowly. I haven't really tried to pick him up yet so what's the bet way to do so? Thanks for the help In advance!

Here is what the cage looks like... Its 8x4x2.5 and the tall part is 4 foot tall! Its not finished yet but close...
WIN_20150726_133127.JPG
WIN_20150726_133231.JPG

Rud3dog

Nice cage! My question is, will it be hard to clean? Sleeping under a large tegu after it poops will stink.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How big/old is he? Little ones have more to fear than large ones. Individuals vary in temperment, and who knows what a red X Argie will be like.

loweryrr

Keep an eye on your temperature under your heat spot. Those lamps look like they will be close to the lizard. Keep in mind the height of the lizard. His back will be higher than the floor and will be hotter than the floor making it easier for him to get a burn. Might want to make a shielding for the lamps too so your tegu doesn't accidentally touch the lamps and get a burn. Lizards don't feel the burn until its too late. As for the taming I say to try to hold him some. Start off for like 15 minutes and slowly increase it. I have found that night time is the time its easiest to hold them because they are sleepy and have cooled off some. I used a pillow case and sat mine inside it and she liked that. They can get use to your scent this way and still feel sheltered while spending time with you.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As things progress- If you're wearing a t-shirt that's not tucked in, sitting on your lap, he can hid his head under your shirt. If they're tired, they'll never leave til you move them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus