• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New red x bw tegu!!

Richyoung22

so I just bought a red x bw tegu from the reptile show in San Diego. I'm pretty sure it's about a month old because it's head is still green. But this little guy is crazy and vicious!! Lol when I put food in the tank, he will eat it while I'm there and won't be bothered. But if I try to move slow to put my hand in the tank he runs to his hide and won't come out. He's been biting me if I get to close as well. I finally was able to get him out today and tried the water taming method. It worked for a few and then the final time, he had his eyes closed with his mouth completely open. Once I put him back in the tank, I was able to let him until he warmed up and then it was back to him running. I just would like some tips on what to do to tame him down more and have a better relationship with him. Thanks in advance!!!!

Yutahji

Personally, I think the water taming method is a bit traumatic for them. Have you tried the bathtub method, and just leaving your hand in his cage when he's not being fed? It's normal for them to bite a few times, but it's important for them as babies to learn that you are not food. Try not to react to it. He is just trying to figure you out.

Richyoung22

Yea I think the same. So I stopped doing it. At one point I thought he was dead! But no I haven't. I'm going to try it today. He's real snappy, so I don't want to stress him out and have him biting me a lot. I have put my hand in the cage, but all he would do is hide all the time. I had him since Saturday and I barely see him come out. When he does, he would either run to hide or close his eyes and tune me out. Lol so I'm just trying to get the hang of him. I have a 8 month old that never acted this way. The day I got her, she jumped on me instantly and loved me touching her. She even let my little crazy daughter play with her and never tried to bite not once.

Yutahji

They all have their own little personalities. What I would recommend is spending time with him until you do see some improvement, without forcing him to be comfortable with you. I have a skittish blue who would run off and hide when I first got her, and bit me a couple times like yours. But if you make the time for them every day, you should see results within a few weeks. What are your temps and setup like?

Richyoung22

No. I didn't want to fry him. I have my temp set at 100 so it wouldn't go over. He's been hiding since I got home from work and I don't want to pull him out of his hide

Yutahji

Giving them the option to reach that 110-120F internal temp is ideal, and it's okay for a hatchling. It's only dangerous when they cannot escape those high temps, which is why you have to provide the temperature gradient.

Richyoung22

So this guy just runs when I put my hand in the tank. Even whif I just leave it there. He puffs up then runs in his hide and won't come out for hours. I put a shirt in his tank, and now all he does is hide under it. I put food in his tank and he would eat it while I'm there but goes back into his hide after. I'm kind of stumped being that I didn't go through this with my other tegu

Yutahji

I have heard tegus are too smart for the shirt method. He's in a hide and not out basking? That's strange. It will be a slow process, if he's huffing instead of whipping and biting, you're already off to a good start. I assume you're feeding him in the tank?

Richyoung22

Yea that trick doesn't look like it's working. But he came out for like 5 mins today and went back in the hide. But yes I am. I can't get him to get him out. I touched him and he jumped and took off. But he's back biting again. Lol

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Precisely why it won't come out. Ts retreat should be on the cool end for relief/ sleep. Heat and uv on other end. Hot there, gradient to 70s at other end by retreat.

Richyoung22

His hide is on the cool side. But he would dig under his basking rock and go to sleep. Like last night I saw him go into his hide, but when I when I turned his light on this morning he came from under the rock. I'll take it out to see how that goes and put some branches in the basking spot so he can just crawl up there

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214