• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New owner - wild acting baby

Tammie

We've had Yamai about a week and a half....I try to handle him at least once a day preferably twice or more. I talk to him throughout the day every time I pass his cage (quite often). As soon as my hand gets near him he just loses it.....running and jumping and racing around the cage. His tail got broken today and I feel like an absolute evil person....I cried. He ran through my hand and I was trying to grab him (he's so fast) and I guess I must have gotten his tail at some point and he ran away leaving me with his tail (still wiggling I might add). When I'm talking to him he (I keep saying he but sex unknown) looks at me and seems calmer than when I try to pick him up but he still breathes hard at times with me just talking. Any advice on getting him to calm down and not running around the cage so he gets injured??
He's my first tegu but we have a pair of beardies and have had a boa in the past. I love him already :)
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20140621_134347.jpg
    IMG_20140621_134347.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20140622_125816.jpg
    IMG_20140622_125816.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 76

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the community, Tammie!
Just keep working with him and be patient. Don't make sudden movements or loud noises around him. Dim the lights so it's a bit more calming.
Don't be too hard on yourself, just keep up the things that work and with time you will see some improvement.
Read our threads on taming tegus and you will learn quite a bit.

Tammie

Thank you Josh (my son's name :) ) He didn't come out all day today....should I get him up? His cage was 98-101 degrees so I thought he would come out but he's buried under the cypress. I guess I probably had high expectations and thought he would be calmer within a week or two but it's not turning out that way... can anyone give me an estimate of how long it will be before I see changes? I know that no two are alike but I guess I'm asking for a generalization or for those that breed or have multiples do you have an average time? Thanks!

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Its always different from tegu to tegu. They are like people and every one is different. Do not worry if your new tegu is skittery or doesnt want to be held or pet, you have to work with him, slowly day by day to gain his trust. With time, patience and love, every tegu will eventually come around and be a calm and tame lizard. Right now he is new to the world, all all you are to him are giant monsters that want to eat him. Its completely normal for him to be scared, to run, or to bury himself for weeks at a time. Let him be, dont bother him when hes burried, and when he comes back up try to interact with him gently and slowly, slowly being the key word. Unfortunately there really isnt a guess that anyone can give you. It can take a week or it can take a few months for them to tame down, especially for babies.

Dont worry about the broken tail, its a defense thing that lizards do, it will grow back. What you are doing sounds good, keep talking to him and trying to interact with him. Move your hand very slowly towards him and rest it near him but not on him. Do this for a while each day, get him used to your hands not being a threat to him. Every once in a while try to slowly reach over and pet him. Watch his body language, if it looks like he is taking a defensive posture (standing up straight, breathing hard, eyeing you like a hawk) and is about to panic and run, put your hand back down. He needs a lot of time, but its very well worth it.

cneffer

my children and boyfriend bought me a tegu hatchling for my birthday this week. I am brand new to the tegus we have a breaded dragon but this little guy is fast and an escape artist. So far I have found him under the fridge behind the bed, couch, and dresser and in a shoe. In just the week we have had him I can already see a difference in demeanor . He lets me pick him up and hold him, but as soon as a child comes around he freaks out and jumps all over the place. He does the same with the boyfriend too. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between an Argentina and Columbian? Or the signs that the tegu is becoming more tame BC if I am handling the situation the wrong way please tell me now so I can change the habits. I hold him a total of one to two hours a day I let him ride in my hoodie pocket for a while too. I let the kids pet him but not to over stimulate him I do it while he is I. The cage and before he is temp warms up after a nap.

cneffer

It has the two scales instead of one. My phone won't let me post pics idk why maybe tomorrow I will get someone on here. I call it a he BC he hasn't been probed but the pet store guy thought it was a he. We named him atlas so that even if it is a girl it still will worm plus it loves to escape and explore the world.

kim

my children and boyfriend bought me a tegu hatchling for my birthday this week. I am brand new to the tegus we have a breaded dragon but this little guy is fast and an escape artist. So far I have found him under the fridge behind the bed, couch, and dresser and in a shoe. In just the week we have had him I can already see a difference in demeanor . He lets me pick him up and hold him, but as soon as a child comes around he freaks out and jumps all over the place. He does the same with the boyfriend too. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between an Argentina and Columbian? Or the signs that the tegu is becoming more tame BC if I am handling the situation the wrong way please tell me now so I can change the habits. I hold him a total of one to two hours a day I let him ride in my hoodie pocket for a while too. I let the kids pet him but not to over stimulate him I do it while he is I. The cage and before he is temp warms up after a nap.

between the eyes and the nose are loreal scales. Argenines have 2, columbians have 1. Also, the skin texture. Argentines have beaded skin like a gila monster, columbians are smooth with a slight pointier head than an argentine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu