• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New member from CT

AWD247

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, Im Jay.

I've been on the forum for sometime now as a guest reading and learning as much as I can from you guys and decided to finally post and introduction and meet some of you guys and gals. Great info and losts of people willing to help make this site great.

I've always been into Monitors, Ive owned several Sav's, Black & White throats, and Waters. Ive always been known as that crazy guy with those HUGE lizards :crazy

Well I've given up my large monitor of 6 years to an organization called The Beardsley Connecticut Zoo, I took him there with my nephews class trip, and again for another occasion I was invited to, they do great work with children and people of all ages when it comes to educating about our great reptiles.
I feel good that he's in a great place and is educating so many people.

It also gives me a chance to expeirence some thing new, Ive done research and keep coming to Tegu's. I never knew these animals were so great, smart.
a family member introduced me to his Columbian Tegu and it was the meanest thing ever, it used to chase and bite his bulldog, try to bite ever chance it got, hissed something nasty, just plain nasty atitude.. It turned me off to it and never gave them a chance, specially since i had this great tame monitor.

Now after learning so much im wishing i looked into them years ago properly and not just looking at a mis raised one.

Well with all that being said, its time to learn and grow with a new friend.
Here's his pic

RTEGU2.jpg

RTEGU1.jpg

Yes some of you might recognize this handsome Male Red Argentine Tegu, DaveDragon has done great with this guy. I couldnt be happier.

Here's a quick teaser of my 10ft condo im in the process of building for this guy. Ill be making thread in the enclosure section of the entire process.
heres some info

The enclosure, so far I was able to cut a pathway between the two and attched the 2 crates to form one, I cant belive I have a 10ft enclosure. :drool
I have removable bolts in the middle so seperation/transport is easy. I also have casters on it to move it around easily. Theres 4 panels on the front of the enclosure im looking to remove and have glass put in on 3 of them, leaving the last panel in the lower end so that its closed off for hibernation and a hide.
The 2 panels of glass im doing in the larger portion will be sliding (I picked up the tracks today from home depot) the 3rd glass will be fixed in place, Also another good thing is that the crate came with the tops, so i added some hinges to both tops which gives me complete access to the entire enclosure for easy cleaning from above.
Tomorrow I will be siliconing all the edges and weather sealing the wood so that it doesnt get mold or anything from high humidity and misting.

Here's whats getting added also

I have four 10" dome lights
Digital termometer
Digital hygrometer
2 small fans from a desktop pc for air circulation
some 10-12" peices of slate for a basking area.
substrate recommended by Dave
Things to have fun with inside etc
Its also going to be painted

Its basically about 4-5" off the floor so i think im going to have a large water basin built into the floor of the crate so it doesnt take space inside, more like a drop in.

So what do you think so far?
Any suggestions or additions you might think of that i will need?

enclosure1.jpg

jarett_Harrison

5 Year Member
looks like itll be an awesome enclosure. ill prolly have to do something like that for my nile monitor. little bugger is only 8 inches rightnow but hes growing fast and eats like a pig!! and your tegu is beautiful. he is a very deep red.

k412

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Your Tegu is so handsome, a very nice red!
You CT folks are so lucky! All of you have spacious basements! I'm guessing that's what it is, looks like my old house.

Jer723

5 Year Member
hey jay! saw you scoping around on the davedragon post. its nice to have another ct boy on here let alone one from bristol. dave offered me pheonix but i just had to turn him down because it was the wrong time. i decided to buy a baby red. hopefully it will grow to be as big and beautiful as pheonix, or whatever youve changed his name to. you will be very happy with pheonix, he just put it over the top for me and made me want to get a second tegu, so now i have a b+w reserved, hes a good tegu. and thats an awesome enclosure, i plan to do a large 8x4 for my 2 tegus soon enough and plan to do a dropin pool like area. so i like that idea. coming along nice! maybe now All the ct guys. could meet up at allpets and show off their tegus! me u and dave, lol. nice to meet you jay, and welcome to the forum!

Jerry

AWD247

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, right now Phoenix is nice and comfy at home with Dave while his home is being finished, I will definately keep the name and always visit All Pets, that place is awesome, specially the outdoor section, Thanks again to Dave

AWD247

5 Year Member
Hey guys, heres a lil update,

A few days ago I had to email Dave the bad new about a fire that happend next door to me in the townhouse complex I rent from, unfortunately these townhouses are attached, Thankfully my place was not damaged by fire, but the water and smoke damage from next door is pretty bad, Ive already been in the process of moving and weve already finalized on a house, my closing wont be utill late August,
Basically with everything going on I wont be able to take possesion of Dave's Beautiful Red Tegu. Im still going to continue making the enclosure you saw above, Im dead set on owning a Tegu as my next pet, but as of mow ill just have to wait till I everything is clear here and Im in the new place.

Anyone interested in having a tegu, specially a BEAUTIFUL tame Red Male should get a hold of Dave asap. I feel bad I cant take him after all this preparation and hope someone can give him a great home like I was planning, If he happens to still be available come Aug/Sept. I would love to have him.

Dave Thanks again for understanding I will most definately keep in touch, I wont get a tegu from anyone else but you or bobby!

AWD247

5 Year Member
Thanks, Yea that red is really great, Dave said he has another person interested so hopefully it works out, looks like he has his hands full.
The good thing is hopefully I can get one of those Blues if there successful, or im looking into getting one of Bobby's B&W's, either way i'll have a great pet :woot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029