• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New large enclosure design

twitchster

Yeah, I need to build a platform for him but for right now he just climbs up onto the hide and bask there. She seems to do fine. Whenever I hold her she's nice and toasty. It's a 100w power sun but I think on the next build I'm going to have 2x 36" Arcadia T5 14% bulbs along with a 150w bulb for basking and 2x 100w bulbs for the cool side. Do you think this would work, and if not, what would you suggest?

twitchster

She seems to do ok. Every time I take her out to let her roam or feed her she's nice and toasty feeling. Currently, I've got a 100w powersun that's in the center (which I should probably put to one side) and 2x 100w. When I build the 8x4x4 though I plan on having 2x 36" Arcadia T5 14% UVB bulbs and a basking platform with a 150w bulb set up. At the middle and far end, I'll have 100w bulbs. Does this sound good? Any suggestion on light setup? Oh, and I'll definitely be going with the guides for the glass you said to do. SSOOOOOOO much cheaper and I didn't even consider the scratching factor.

Waters

She seems to do ok. Every time I take her out to let her roam or feed her she's nice and toasty feeling. Currently, I've got a 100w powersun that's in the center (which I should probably put to one side) and 2x 100w. When I build the 8x4x4 though I plan on having 2x 36" Arcadia T5 14% UVB bulbs and a basking platform with a 150w bulb set up. At the middle and far end, I'll have 100w bulbs. Does this sound good? Any suggestion on light setup? Oh, and I'll definitely be going with the guides for the glass you said to do. SSOOOOOOO much cheaper and I didn't even consider the scratching factor.
Yeah, definitely try to make sure there is a hot side as well as a cool side so he can regulate his temperature. What size enclosure are you planning on building? Once you have it set up you will probably have to play with the wattages of the basking bulbs by checking surface temps. I started with 3 100W flood bulbs and ended up using 3 40W bulbs, which kept the basking temps around 120-130. The 14% arcadia bulbs are good. Make sure they overlap the basking area since that is where the Tegu will be closest to the bulb and spending a lot of time. Rather than use 100W bulbs on the cool side, you could use ceramic heat emitters and just hook them up to a thermostat. They will only go on when needed and not provide any light, which will keep the enclosure warm at night.

You won't regret the glass and guides...I actually built a Bearded Dragon enclosure using the same materials without any issues.

Waters

@Waters How much would you say this costed you in total? I am trying to price out and find ideas for my build and LOVE this enclosure you made! Please let me know!
Thanks :) It costed a lot more than it needed to since i used furniture grade birch but if I had to guess probably around 500. That includes the glass, wood, stain, and metal screening for the canopy. Does not include the cabinets, lighting, or Mist King. If you include those, probably closer to 1500.

Edward Lotz

What type of wood did you use for construction and will it be water resistant for the humidity long term? I can not find and pvc board locally and not sure what to use that will be waterproof. Thanks for any help.

Waters

What type of wood did you use for construction and will it be water resistant for the humidity long term? I can not find and pvc board locally and not sure what to use that will be waterproof. Thanks for any help.
I used furniture grade birch. The inside needs to be treated due to the high humidity (that is true for any wood). I just used latex paint but there are a bunch of different sealers that would work.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744