• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

new here with a question

wes

5 Year Member
hi all i'm new to the boards and have a question.
i just got a pair if tegu's and didn't really knew if it was a pair untill i've red the part of the spurs/dots near the vent, 1 of em both has this the other one not, they are : largest just over 4 ft smallest +/- 4 ft.
it's been a while since i kept tegu's and untill this pair i only kept python brongersmai and python curtus(still do).i have owned 2.0 tegus in the past 1 red and 1 b/w, not as bog as the ones i have now but the red already had big jowls while at the same size the b&w had not and was 100% sure a male since he showed his goods more than 1ce.

now the largest of my couple has the spurs/dots but no jowls yet, can i be sure it is a male and if so when do the jowls start to develop?
can it be that he stayed behind a bit because he was housed with a more dominant male at his previous owner's house?

do the red males develop the jowls earlier then the b&w's?

doesn't a 4 foot male need to have the jowls yet at this size?
according to the store owner where i purchased them they should be around 2-2.5 years old.

if my english has some hair on it then sorry for that but i'm from belgium.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Your male should have jowls, and buttons next to the vent if it is a male, the female can have a little jowl, but no buttons.

This is a female, she does have a little jowl:

Attachments

• DSCN1665sm.jpg
    512 bytes · Views: 7
  • DSCN1661sm.jpg
    512 bytes · Views: 2
  • DSCN1665.JPG

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As old and big as your male is, he should have good sized jowls and buttons like this:

100_4494_.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN38952.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 1
  • normal_DSCN0772ll.jpg

wes

5 Year Member
he has buttons for sure but little to no jowls,
but the store owner told me that the previous owner saw copulation(or at least that's what he made out of it) can it be that my male didn't develop jowls yet because he was housed together with a more dominant male( with iguana's i saw that more than once that when two males were housed together the dominant male would develop that massive head, larger spines and big jowls) maybe this goes for tegu's as well?

i will post some pictures of them later on today.

the jowl development happens at the same size/age in reds and b&w's?
my red male was 3.5 foot maw. and had relatively massive jowls for his size already while the equally sized b&w still had none and he proved himself more than once to be a male, when he had bowel movements he often showed his hemipenesses and had buttons too.both of 'em had them.

wes

5 Year Member
oh just to clarify that copulatio part i mentioned above, the previous owner thought of the (male??) i've got to be a female because of the copulation he saw,
and since my largest has the buttons for sure and the smallest has none maybe the more dominant male was dominating mine a little??? he has some superficial bite marks in his neck which are some drier scales and not like it is bitten through the skin so you see no flesh anywhere.

wes

5 Year Member
i will post some a bit later today when my girlfriend gets home, do you need some of the buttons too?

btw your tegu's rock :roon :roon :roon

if here in belgium those extreme giants were available i would get me a couple for sure.

i move within two months and am going to built my couple a big cage and get a couple of reds (if i find them).
these two months they are housed in a herptek enclosure 5f long 2.5f wide and 2 f high. the cage i'm going to built is going to be 7.5 long 3.5 wide and 3.5 high
+ they get to ram around when i'm home.

wes

5 Year Member
i can't seem to manage attatchments.what do i need to do?
i click search behind file name,then do add the file, it says uploading but nothing happens,when i submit reply there are no pictures attatched.

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
"Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif</a><!-- m -->. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode tag.
"
try uploading to this site
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://imageshack.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://imageshack.us/</a><!-- m -->

wes

5 Year Member
i've uploaded to imageshack but uploading from there to here took 15 minutes and was still in progress so i give up,bobby send me an email to my adress and i post the pictures from there to your email adress.

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

wes

5 Year Member
thank you for trying, still no pics to see.
i've send them to bobby so i hope they arrived and maybe they get on here.
thanks for the help.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
thank you for trying, still no pics to see.
i've send them to bobby so i hope they arrived and maybe they get on here.
thanks for the help.

Have your read these tutorials?

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=52&t=274</a><!-- l --> (photobucket)

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2332</a><!-- l --> (imageshack)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.