• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Breeding Project

Markie

5 Year Member
I want to start breeding a new species of reptile (I have only bred crested geckos, so it won't be THAT hard to find a new one), but I'm undecided on which species I should breed.

I want something that doesn't take up a lot of space, breeds fairly easy, and doesn't need highly specialized care (no chameleons, then! haha). Nothing that will break the bank either while putting together a breeding group.

I'm looking mostly at geckos (might start breeding cresteds again), snakes, and maybe some king of frog. Any suggestions?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think my next project will be some Ball Pythons. Get yourself 1.1 100% Het. for (whatever morph you desire) and you will have the start of a breeding project on a budget.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Leopard Geckos are easy to breed. I hatched several this year. Fattails, day geckos, tokays, golden geckos, and leaftails are some that I have kept. They were all really cool. Leaf Chameleons would also be a good one to breed. They can be set up to take care of themselves. The cheapest reptiles I ever bred. I fed them woodlice which I caught from my yard. They raise in the substrate and it's a hole eco system in one 10 or 20 gallon tank. Very cool project to do. The chameleons are cheap too. I still say Veild Chameleons are the way to go.They are easy to raise and require minimal care with a few tricks of the trade. I have raised several generations feeding nothing more than meal worms and Trex chameleon dust. No UV lights or anything. They have a great market they move well. They also lay hundreds of eggs a year. 1 pair can easily make a person $1500 or more a year . That's figureing 100 babies at $15 each. Most sell for $35 to $50 each. My females laid atleast 60 eggs at a time 3 to 4 times a year. That's just what 1 pair will make a person. Think about it.

Markie

5 Year Member
I'm trying to get into ball pythons as well :) A year ago I bought a male 100% het for albino and now I am trying to convince my parents to get me a 100% het female for xmas. They need to realize that not getting me it for xmas doesn't mean I won't have it by this time next year :)

I absolutely love leaftails. What kind did you keep and did you breed them? From what I've read, I thought that breeding them was supposed to be difficult? I will have to look into that again haha.

I still don't know about the chameleons.. it always sounded more difficult than that lol. And I don't know if I have room for hundreds of babies, haha. They aren't something you could bring to a show though, are they? Since they stress so easily? I forgot about the leaf chameleons.. those are pretty sweet.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
They don't stress easily. I can get you through it no problem. They also sell good enough you wouldn't have to. Just put up an add on KS or Reptile Auction and the rest is gravy. Then go to the show and spend the money you made. Babies are easy to keep it's not all that hard or time consuming. It'll take you a little while to get the hang of it.So you won't be loaded down right away. The Satanic leaf tails I didn't breed. I only kept them a short time and had to sell them. LOL They are very cool though. The leaf chameleons are very cool and cheap to keep and breed. Several different species to choose from.

Oddball

5 Year Member
I know my first breeding project is going to be leopard geckos. They are easy to take care of, breed, and the hatching process is bearable. The only downside are the incredibly small and fragile babies...but thats with most species of any animal, lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu