• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New baby

jaypops

Hey guys,

I recently got a baby argie 3 weeks ago. Now my other gu had interest in me from day 2. But my new guy, not so much. I'm stuck on when to really start handling him. I read hands-off works well, but can take months. And also read bin feeding (i do tong feedind for now ) is also a winner because you handle them more often. But i don't want to force myself on him. My gu shows interest in my hand when hungry and gives test bites (i dont move), but will snake his tail if i touch him and scurry off if i try to scoop him. So I'm kind of in between. I just want an affectionate gu!!

Luke Whitelaw

My tegu in the first week when I got him used to get a little scared when I would put my hand in his enclosure. But when he was out of his cage he was just curious walking around and darting his tongue. Slowly your tegu will realize you're not a threat and won't act so timid. I've heard cage feeding can make then cage aggressive so try to avoid that at all costs.

jaypops

I would like to stop cage feeding and start bin feeding, but I don't want to force myself on him. He still tries to stay off my hand. Sometimes jumps off to the other end of the enclosure.

Luke Whitelaw

I would just make sure he's eating steadily and try to slowly get him out and used to you more so when you do get him in the bin he won't be frightened enough and still eat . After a week to two weeks after he's used to his enclosure try just sitting near the cage or getting him used to your presence . And then eventually take hi out for 30 minutes a a day or every other day to become more used to human interaction. It takes time and some tegus take longer then others

jaypops

But he's still small and if I take him out, I'm sure he'll just jump away and take off. Are you saying to go against his will and just hold him to prevent this? Kind of make him submit??

jaypops

uploadfromtaptalk1430755786975.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430755798243.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430755853139.jpg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
From the bottom picture, looks like he's not at all scared of you. More likely, he's scared of being off of the ground, falling, etc. Sit near him, pet him, allow him to crawl on your arm inside his cage. Then take it from there. Different successful ways to make friends with them. However, when you do pick him up, do so from underneath and provide stability for him. Don't lift from above.I don't think that I would bin feed him yet. My suggestion is to set his food out before he comes out for the day. You can still tong-feed treats.

jaypops

Ya, I must admit he's getting better. He just freaks out and huffs and puffs when i get close, them calms down. But jumps out my hands when picked up

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214