• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New baby tegu won't come out of hide and has covered up entrance of burrow

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I like his hide, and he looks great. I guess you'll see from many other posts that he's already at a body size for a larger enclosure.

Talon1992

5 Year Member
I like his hide, and he looks great. I guess you'll see from many other posts that he's already at a body size for a larger enclosure.
Sounds good. I'd imagine I should wait to see when he comes out though? It's been about a week and still no sign of him. I think it got down to 70 last night but I don't think that would induce hibernation?

beantickler

Wow what size is that tank? You are in need of an upgrade and fast... He looks really nice and healthy for sure though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Talon1992

5 Year Member
Wow what size is that tank? You are in need of an upgrade and fast... He looks really nice and healthy for sure though.

I believe the current tank is 30 gallons. But I have a very large cage that I'm in the process of cleaning out right now. It's about 6 1/2 feet long by 2 1/2 and 2 1/2. It's missing the glass though so I need to get some more cut for it. Truth be told I did I thought he was going to be a fresh hatchling when I got him, so that's why the cage isnt particularly large at the moment. But don't worry! He will be well accommodated once I'm finished cleaning the large one! I suppose I just have to wait until he wakes up/ comes out. it's been about a week so I'm not sure when that will be.

Talon1992

5 Year Member
Time is a non issue right now... a 3 month nappy is common...

So I'd imagine the best thing to do is keep up his regular lighting schedule and wait for him to make an appearance. And have the new cage ready of course. Should I still leave food out everyday?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So I'd imagine the best thing to do is keep up his regular lighting schedule and wait for him to make an appearance. And have the new cage ready of course. Should I still leave food out everyday?
See how often he comes out by smoothing the dirt near his hide. Work it that way.

Talon1992

5 Year Member
So it's been a couple of weeks and he still hasn't come out, ( I did the soil trick and so far no disturbances). So I think it's a fair assumption that he's gonna be down for a while. Is it a fair assumption that the fact that he went straight into hibernation means he is quite comfortable with his new accommodations? Also, how long do these little guys typically stay down?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So it's been a couple of weeks and he still hasn't come out, ( I did the soil trick and so far no disturbances). So I think it's a fair assumption that he's gonna be down for a while. Is it a fair assumption that the fact that he went straight into hibernation means he is quite comfortable with his new accommodations? Also, how long do these little guys typically stay down?
Yes, he's fine. Duration depends on latitude and the individual. Make sure he has water and a basking light on a timer for a month, then tou can offer additional heat and longer "days". Some are down a month, some up to four. Some are in and out, others are uninterrupted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980