• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New and need help

Suzanne

5 Year Member
Hi, My boyfriend and I just purchased a pair of Tegu's. It was sort of an impulse thing in the sense that we didn't do that much research before buying them. We have a lot of experience with reptiles but not with reptiles that hibernate (real hibernation, so far we have not put any of our reptiles into brumation).

We didn't get a lot of info from the person who sold them to us. They seem healthy but I don't know if they are stressed from the change of enviroment. The person who sold them to us never said if they had been hibernating but we have had them for two days now and they have refused food and have been sleeping most of the time. Once in a while they come out of their hide for a drink. Sometimes if they are sleeping out of the hide they will open their eyes when we walk by. I am not sure if I should keep offering them food. We decided that we would just watch them for a few days to see how active they are and based on that dedide whether to offer food again. Are we doing the right thing? We haven't been able to reach the person who sold them to us. Any advice would be welcome.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They could be still hibernating, if so they will not eat until they are done. You need to get the larger cage built soon, as they will be coming out of hibernation before long. Also you need to have the proper UV lighting for them when they wake. Here is some information that will help you:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?t=20</a><!-- l -->

Also, welcome to the TeguTalk community, glad you joined us!! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980