• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New adrenaline rush

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Including organ meat, such as liver, heart, gizzards.

Walter1!!! There's been a change in Skully - he's calmer today, decided to take two baths, no jumping or spooking around, and is pulling my shirt into his hide every night to close himself in. I'm still scared to death of him, but this is some major change... I was able to stay by the tank most of the day, and he didn't freak out at all. I know he wanted food, but he settled for the few superworms that were leftovers. I went back and forth many times, and he just watched. Thx to everybody for all your help - I think the shirt is doing the job. I've been giving him the organ meats by the way, but wasn't sure if all meats were considered safe. Thx

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Walter1!!! There's been a change in Skully - he's calmer today, decided to take two baths, no jumping or spooking around, and is pulling my shirt into his hide every night to close himself in. I'm still scared to death of him, but this is some major change... I was able to stay by the tank most of the day, and he didn't freak out at all. I know he wanted food, but he settled for the few superworms that were leftovers. I went back and forth many times, and he just watched. Thx to everybody for all your help - I think the shirt is doing the job. I've been giving him the organ meats by the way, but wasn't sure if all meats were considered safe. Thx
Fantastic! They can't help but be courious. You're turning it to your advantage.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
36095.jpeg
20180506_175132_001.jpg

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
20180603_140623 - Edited.jpg
20180426_155401.jpg
So - I finally figured out how to get some pics posted. This is Skully - still don't know if it's a female or male. (The year old rescue from Rodney in Fla.) It's grown a lot in the last 7 weeks. She's gone from 20" to 30-31". Anybody know if that's typical? Sometimes his jowls seem to be screaming male, other times she looks very slim and not so bulky. She still hates me, but we've made progress. I touched her tail, and touched her head once this week. One time I opened her door though, and she made a step toward me. I was caught off guard unfortunately and jumped slightly....so of course that scared her and she quickly retreated to her hide. BUT TODAY!!!!.....We had a moment. She ate all her food from the tweezers I was holding. She came toward me and was very calm and determined to get the food. She seemed much less fearful - less gasping for air, etc. I talk to her all the time Walter1 !! I think it's working!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club

Last edited:

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Fantastic! They can't help but be courious. You're turning it to your advantage.

(So - I think I put this post in the wrong place the first time....)

To everyone that's helped me....I just wanted you all to know that today and 2 days ago I was able to hold Skully. Nothing is more exciting is it? She was considering a move toward me which she's done before with no result, but in the end I thought (4 months waiting) I better pick her up because I don't usually get this much invitation. The first time she threw a fit for about 8-10 secs and scratched me with those nails of hers. Bleeding all over - I just held on to let her know she doesn't get to win this one. I got her to go to sleep by scratching her neck and jowls - she calmed way down. Gave her food afterward. I'm sure she is in the Crocodile family somewhow. She is so strong, whipping that tail and clawing at me. Just today - she was mashing herself up against the glass again, so I opened up and I got ahold of her again. This time, not so much fight. No blood - Lol. I love holding her. I hope as she gets older she really gets used to her situation. Sometimes I honestly do feel bad that she's not in the wild anymore. Walter1....would you be able to explain how you contain your Tegus during the summer? I know you told me you let them go outside. Do you have a separate pen for them? Thanks to all who helped with such good info. I didn't give up!!! : )

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny