• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

new addition!! need some help

drewsdragons

Hello everyone I'm new here I breed bearded dragons and have my first tegu on deposit an extreme giant from Bobby at varnyard. Today I went to a local petshop where I sometimes buy supplies if I'm running short, I seen they had a large savannah monitor in a cardboard box and was told a customer left him in the front of the store like that. So feeling bad for the big guy I asked how much they wanted for him and they gave him to me for free. Now he seems to be in good shape great weight on him I was told that they fed him mice, ground turkey, and cat food. I have read about savs before but never got one so I'm in need of more info also since I wasn't prepaird in acquiring such a large animal until my tegu I only have a 4x2x2 cage that he is in right now. How large should the cage be for him and the temp in the basking area is 120 I read that it should be around 130+ so I'm going to raise the temp up more. If anyone with Savannah knowledge could tell me a good diet as well as housing and how long is it ok for him to be in the smaller cage till I build him a new one would be much appreciated. I will be taking some pics of I'm shortly to post so you can all see him and tell me if he looks to be in good health. I'd say he's around 2.5ft long maybe more and stocky the base of his tail is thick and he has already dedicated and it was normal. Thanks again and sorry for such a long post

drewsdragons

here are some pics i will be putting a dirt/soil mix as substrate tomorrow i also added some flat rocks as a basking platform. i offered some dubias and he refused he did eat 2 mice before i took him in though so i hope he eats bugs tomrrow

314608_291704214179301_100000191747584_1463987_1125641061_n.jpg

P9131238.jpg

he took a dip in the tub shortly after basking then went right back to the hot spot which is still around 120

Logie_Bear

What a nice looking sav! I've never kept monitor species before, but as long as the temps are right and the cage has enough space for a temp gradient I can't imagine that being on the small size would be detrimental to his health. How's his temperament been?

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Just stick to insects, avoid mice and even the ground turkey like a lot feed. Savs are invertebrate eaters, so why feed a vertebrate. Temps deff need too be up.

Visit,http://savannahmonitor.org/feeding/diet/

You can learn a lot from there, read through each sections carefully.

At that size he can go into his permanent, 8x3x4 cage.

Congrats on the new addition, how's he been for you? Looks calm for now, lets see how it is when he gets under the proper temps.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He looks healthy. Get that enclosure built ASAP though, he is going to need the substrate to burrow and stay hydrated. Make sure his basking temp is at least 130.

drewsdragons

when i first picked him up he was calm but im guessing it was cause he was cold since he has been in the cage he is huffing and puffing but hasnt tried to bite or run. the people at the shop fed him mice before i left but i have read its not good because they are invertebrate eaters, i tried offering him dubais from my colonies and he didnt go for them so hopefully he will. i will be starting his adult cage this weekend i just wanted to make sure that the cage he is in now was ok for temporary housing. also tomorrow i will be pump up the heat level a bit when i change the bulb cause it wont go over 115-120 i have a zoo med 75watt spot bulb

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What are you measuring the temps with?

Calm demeanor is generally a sign of a cold or sick monitor.

drewsdragons

i am measuring temps with a tempgun and now that he has been basking he is more alert walking around and if i slide the glass open he starts hissing and blowing his body up

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
To get a higher basking temp, get some bricks and stack them up until you get the right temps.

drewsdragons

thanks for the tip i will do that in the morning.
also for im not sure if its a male or female doesnt really matter but how would i be able to find out?
for his/her size how old would you say he/she is?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm no good at sexing monitors and as far as age, it is almost impossible to tell.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
You could always just watch and wait for him too defecate, too see, if you got a bot then when he does defecate, he will evert the hemipenis if not then i guess you got a girl. I also read that you can tell the sex based on head shape, but i forgot how it goes, but that would be just a guess. Not really too educated as far as sexing bosc goes, their complicated in that area.

drewsdragons

thanks for your help everyone i will update pics once i get him into his new cage and everything is set up. ive been on savannahmonitor.org for hours now reading up

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff