• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need tips for holding Tegu

millyme11

I have seen tonnes of photos of Tegus sitting on their owners sholders or laying in their arms nicely but mine doesn't seem to sit still long enough. Whenever I pick her up she wriggles and rolls over and over until out of my grasp. Sometimes I can get 30 seconds of her sitting still but its rare for her.

Any tips on improving or has she not got the temperament for it?

Thanks

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390937425992.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390937425992.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 112

JDRexotics

Honestly, after having raised a tegu to an adult and now raising another one. That "chill" behavior comes with time, no taming techniques will get you that behavior. You should obviously start taming now by getting the tegu used to you and what not but that chill behavior is something most adult argentines have after going through puberty and knowing their owner for over 2 years. Thanks

tegu.crz

They naturally hate heights as I am sure u are experiencing. Sit on the floor. Use the towel over her eyes. Almost all animals will naturally relax with a towel over there eyes. The tub I bathe my tegu in is upstairs. If I don't have a towel over her eyes she will start to squirm as I go up. But the towel always helps. And I give her as much body support as I can so she doesn't feel like she is dangling.

Michael Soto

My baby just started feeling ok eating while my hand is right next to him. He will smell my hand rub his head against it and then start to eat. He isnt a fan of being held yet but like the others were saying that takes time and can take up to 2 years.

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
What I would do is I would sit in the bathroom with her and ignore her, natural curiosity would kick in and she would investigate me. Every week she became more and more comfortable with using me as a hide or just resting on me. In addition to that I also cut a small piece of my shirt an put it in her hide. Eventually she didn't see me as a threat nor was she flighty. But it took a consistent routine of that 30 minutes a day for a month and a half. Also I never forced Titus out of her cage nor took her out her hide, my contact with her was always on her terms.

Ps when she was younger I did have her on my shoulders but as she got bigger her fear of heights was greater so now If I do pick her up I hold her close to me kinda like a foot ball.

mizblu85

I have a b&w Columbian. What I'm wondering is if it is normal for them to jump? I take him every day hold him close against my chest for a few minutes or until he decides that's he's awake then take him to his feeding tub. He is about 6 weeks old so he is still small. I am a tall woman so I move my whole body down when putting him in his tub. He has jumped out of my hands before and off my shoulders from running out of my hands up. He will also jump off his basking spot I have in a spare room where he gets natural Sun and he will run up my legs from his basking spot and jump. He'll also sit for hours with blue berries on his nose so......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu