1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Need help!?!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by Joey Gates, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Joey Gates

Joey Gates New Member

Hi guys...new to this page but needed help. I just got a female Ice tegu hatchling from underground reptiles in August so she's about 3-4 months old. 20 gallon long, 160 watt powersun light on one side. She was fine when I first got her but for the past month she's been acting funny. Doesn't come out as much and eats once in a while (usually when I mist the tank and the humidity sky rockets). I was thinking that she was sick but then wondered if she was hibernating. It freaked me out because she's so small/young and my male red that I bought about her size/age never hibernate at all.
    please let me know if this ever happened to anyone? Thanx
  2. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

Welcome Joey. Tegus brumate, sleep, for some portion of the winter. Some wake up from time to time, othets down for the count. Might last 3-6 mo.

Get the tegu into a MUCH larger enclosure with 110-115f bask site, loe-mid 80s ambient, and 70s f moist hide. With winter upon us, shorten daylength and bask light time and see what happens.
  3. Joey Gates

Joey Gates New Member

Thanks Walter. I had her in a 40 breeder that I used for my male that was about her size when I got him in December but figured that it might be too big/cold for her so I moved her to a 20 long. Should I just put her back in the 40 with the 160 watt powersun and another low wattage basking light like a 50 watt next to it?
    She's my first hatchling so I'm a lil lost. My male was about her length but he was way thicker and looked indestructible.
  4. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

I'd move her as long as you can provide the necessary temps.