• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need help with new red tegu

ecosman99

Hey, this is my fist post on the forums I just recently purchased a Red argentine tegu a few days ago he is a couple years old and is CB, which s pretty hard to find in Canada Alberta. He is very tame (I can pick him up and interact with him)But he tends to heavily breathe (huff and puff) is this because he is scared? I think i may have been picking him up wrong before i was using my left hand to let his stomach rest on it gently then the back hand to try to let the back elgs rest gently but he squirms alot. I recently watched this video earlier http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiAxoM2znvM today and he says to support the back and front legs like showed, is this the proper way to hold him? And the last question is how often should I be feeding him ive started to feed him sort of a main course the first day such as some chicken hearts or some dead mice, and the second day letting him try fruit because the previous owner said he never really liked fruit that much but she didnt try a alot of different kinds(im using the food guide that someone posted on here that there allowed to eat) to see what he likes, is this a good way to feed him?

An help would be really appreciated thanks Eric

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the site :) and congrats on the new Gu, I just responded to your other thread as well. That video shows the basics for handling most larger lizards but there are other ways to hold them. Each one's different and it takes some time and tweaking to find out what they like.

The main thing is support.

Some don't mind one hand around the base of the tail and the other under their chest. While others prefer more support and would rather be held closer to you. Their body up against yours with their head on your shoulder.

Or kind of in a scoop position with one forearm supporting their whole body. Their head towards your elbow and your hand under their hips. That way you can still have a grip on the base of their tail in case they try to jump.

Feeding is the same it's something you have to try different things and amounts to get an idea of how often and how much he'll eat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214