• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

need cage building advice or plans

camb

5 Year Member
so for Christmas i got $175 worth of home depot gift cards to build a tegu cage. and i know how im gonna build the frame and the actual box. but i need some advice on sealing and possibly linoleum floor for water proofing?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This should help you out, Mike is pretty good about explaining here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331&highlight=#331">http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic ... light=#331</a><!-- m -->

Tux

5 Year Member
use a low VOC adhesive, although it will omit some VOC's it will offgas rather well and be pretty safe when heated. Vinyl is the one you really need to avoid using.

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
jmiles50 said:
So just no vinyl linoleum :?: I'm sorry, I'm just a little confused :oops:

No lino itself is fine, he is talking about the glue you use to lay it down I think. I've never heard of vinyl being dangerous because of fumes unless you light it on fire but your tegu would be dead from the fire before the fumes get it.

If I'm wrong Rick please correct me :)

Spencer

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
Linoleum is natural whereas Vinyl isnt. Vinyl is made from Polyvinyl chloride as well as other materials, obviously.

Vinyl and Linoleum are two totally different materials.

BUT, vinyl will not emit the gas UNLESS it reaches a certain temp which is way beyond survivable for any reptile. Boaphiles are made from PVC as well.

I use linoleum in my custom snake cages.

Tux

5 Year Member
Was going over older posts and came across this one, though VOCs are emitted more rapidly at higher temps, they are emitted at lower temps as well as the compounds age and degrade (this isn't temp dependent Mike). Vinyl flooring is manufactured in a variety of compositions primarily composed of a mixture of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), inert filler (usually calcium carbonate, CaCO3), and organic plasticizers such as dioctylphthalate (DOP). Other additives such as stabilizers, lubricants, antioxidants, and colorants are used to aid in processing and improve product functionality and appearance. It may also be manufactured as a multi-layer system with a bottom backing (usually glass fiber) and a top coating of transparent PVC or polyurethane. This is a huge difference from PVC caging in composition. Emissions under 0.5 mg/m3 are what I'd be looking for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu