• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

nail clipping?

playlboi

5 Year Member
have you guys ever tried clipping your tegus nails? (claws, i guess). is it good to do so or should i just leave the nails alone?

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't clip any of my reptile's nails. Just put something rough in the cage and they'll do it themselsves.

mdmtmm

5 Year Member
I clip my tegus nails. I use a regular nail clipper. You just have to be sure you get the very tip and not the nerve endings. It can be a challenge to get him to hold still though.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Note the red line in this picture, the line shows where you can trim the nails up to, if it is clipped any higher than the picture shows you will take a chance on quicking the nail wich will cause the nail to bleed. If you cut into the quick, the toenail will bleed, you can use dry flour to stop the bleeding, just apply it dry to the end of the toenail.

DSCN2863.jpg

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Been there, done that!! It gets messy. I clipped 6 or 7 too short on our big Red. He left a blood trail when he walked around on the hardwood floors. Won't do that again.

G

Forget the blood tail. I nicked Apollo's quick and he whipped the hell out of me. Flour isn't the greatest but it works. I recommend going to Walgreens or Rite Aid. Pick up a Styptic Pencil. It's only 3 bucks and that's what it's for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980