• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Wife Got Bit!

Jefroka

5 Year Member
I had to go on a few appointments this morning which broke my normal routine I have with my tegu, so my wife had to fill in for me.

Yesterday, Beauregard ate a fairly large fuzzy mouse and a small chunk of turkey, so I knew he might not be all that into eating today.

I gave my wife explicit instructions to observe his body language and if he was really active and trying to get out of his container to feed, place your hand down inside and he should come to you, climbing up your arm to your shoulder.

Well, she remembered most of what I said, but I don't think she realized at the time how careful I am in paying acute attention to his body language.

He was down on the end of his cage by his water bowl and she nudged him (not a good thing) to get him to move out of the corner, put her hand over him and he bit her! :doh

What happened next has me grinning from ear to ear. My wife did not pull away, even though he broke her skin (looks like a small paper cut at best)

She regrouped like a real champ and observed his body language. She said he became increasingly active and decided to place her hand back in the cage (stationary this time) and see if he would come to her, and he did!

He crawled up her arm, to her shoulder and she was able to handle him and feed him, take him out, and place him back inside his enclosure.

We went over everything that had transpired and decided the main problem was "the nudge".

I asked my wife why she had nudged him and she said "just to get him to move out of the corner". :crazy

This story has a most happy ending in that my wife made it right and went back in and did what needed to be done.

I'm very, very proud of her. :plot2 :plot2 :fiwo

...Jefroka

Quijibo

5 Year Member
Wow.
I've been married for 20 years and if one of my herps bit my wife, I'd come home to find her with a new purse. :-D

Two Bananas Marinade

5 Year Member
Quijibo said:
Wow.
I've been married for 20 years and if one of my herps bit my wife, I'd come home to find her with a new purse. :-D

My wife too. lol We were gonna name my new tegu Dooney but decided on Blender after She caught me blending his raw liver with our kitchen blender

Jefroka

5 Year Member
I'm still shocked at the terrific outcome, it could have easily been a completely different scenario, whereby my wife formed thoughts along the lines of "he's YOUR tegu now!" :shock:

Incidentally, approximately an hour or so after the "bite" I came home and picked him right on up, he came to me as usual, showing no sign of aggression.

It was undoubtedly the "nudge" he didn't like, IMO. :chin

Anyways, I'm just glad it went the way it did!

Two Bananas , I find myself chuckling whenever you mention your tegu's name, cause that incident is too funny! ;)

...Jefroka

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu