• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Tegu is stillHibernation! Is this normal?

JabbatheRedTegu

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,
this is my first year (and my tegu's first year) of hibernation. He has been under off and on since November. He is still not up yet. I have now cranked up the heat and I have a 12 hour light cycle and a humidifier pumping fog inside the cage to get him out. What else can I be doing? I get him up once every few days. Today was the first time he took food (1/2 a grape) then he went back under.
Please help me out. I want to make sure there isn't something I'm missing here since I am a first time tegu owner and this is my first hibernation experience.
What else should I be doing?

- Mike

wyattroa

5 Year Member
why force him to get up? How do you get him up once every few days? Do you take him out of his hide? That is the easiest way to lose trust with your gu. Mine has been down since november as well and is still not up. I have not turned the lights on, I just fill the water bowl and mist the cage like normal. They will come out when they are ready. I would also not attempt to feed him any food until he is coming out on a normal basis for about a week. I would not turn the heat up or the lights on and let him just do his thing, when he is ready to get up, he will. This is the approach I am taking. I have not seen mine outside her burrow since november. I can see inside the burrow on the side of the tank and she moves around and gets in different positions so I know she is alive. But don't worry, he knows when to get up.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
yeah most tegus are still in hibernation, and probably wont wake up til april or may when it really warms up, dont bother him just let him be!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980