• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

my tegu is still hibernating

JabbatheRedTegu

5 Year Member
What should I do? I have woke him up before, then he pounds crickets then goes right back under.

I have heard from people to not disturb them in "hibernation" but honestly at this point im not sure what to do...

I have his light cycle up to 12 hours now and he is still not coming out.

Help me please!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
are you sure he isnt coming out earlier and then going back under? my red tegu wakes up around 6-7 am and is usually back burrowed by noon sometimes earlier!if he eats he basks for a little while then he is back under for the rest of the day!

wyattroa

5 Year Member
They will come out when they are ready to. Mine just woke up last Friday after being down since the end of october. It sucks to wait for it, but they know what they are doing.
Robert

JabbatheRedTegu

5 Year Member
Ok, thanks guys. I'm not sure if he comes out at all, I just know that when he's up, he smashes the heck out of crickets, unlike the first 5 months of his hibernation, when I offered him ground turkey and he didn't take anything. I figured he was ready if he knew to eat. I wake him up from his hide (he trusts me just fine) and then he walks to the rock and suns himself, eats, suns again, then goes under after an hour or so.
I will leave him alone. But yea it does suck waiting... :(

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
FIguring out your tegu's schedule can be stressful to keeper and tegu. Your best bet is to have some food available that doesn't expire quickley(like roaches/crickets with their heads smashed in dish) so you can monitor whether he's coming out on his own or not. Boon's first year with me he was an early riser and sleeper but after I figured out his schedule I was able to have food available to him when I knew he'd be up(and i'd be at work).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214