• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My red is so mean

Reptiledude16

Okay I have had him for coming up Ina couple months a year. He is a good 2ft now and I can't get Him to calm down a little. I don't want to give him up and try againivwas thinking about getting him or her a friend because I h vase that kinda room for themmy cage is 10 ft by 4 by 4 so I have plenty of cage space for the one. I've tried warm water,t shirt , hands off for 4 months now nothing has worked even a little bit please help me out took a couple bites and they don't feel good

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
what is your set up like? how are your temps? what are you feeding it and how often? it could be a "puberty thing". it very well could be diet related, if its almost a year it should be larger than 2 feet IMO. there could be other things stressing it out, is the cage in an area where other pets are or where there is a lot of traffic?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Getting another tegu won't make him easier for you to handle. If they end up fighting, then you have to get two separate enclosures.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Maybe its the method you're using, they don't like to be restrained but rather they prefer to be held...hopefully that makes sense.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Being terrestrial animals, they prefer to sit on you. I'm actually pretty content if mine will tolerate me being around, climb on me, and let me carry them if needed without making me bleed too much :). I have one super tame female that I use for educational shows, but the rest are rather reptilian.

jtrux

5 Year Member
If she'll tolerate it. Might have to place her in a box and carry her over that way.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
That's one of the best things I think. Just occupy the same space with him, and pertend not to pay any attention. Just sit there and read or play a Gameboy. Once he doesn't feel your a threat, he may come up to you to explore.

Reptiledude16

ahh well anyone got a clue on how to tegu proof your room? i have no problem with him roaming because i was feeding him yesterday and he came up to me and just crawled on me but i did not pick him up. my room is quite big i have the whole upstairs bonus room as my master bedroom lol.

jtrux

5 Year Member
They are incredibly strong so keep that in mind when securing your room. Also, if they can get their head in it, it's likely that their body will follow. The things you need to pay attention to the most are windows, vents and doors. They are gonna go under the bed, behind dressers etc, your goal is make sure he can't get out of the room and into a wall, or worse yet...outside.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Maybe set up an area with a pile of your old shirts to bask on, that way he will be surrounded by your smells while he's basking so he'll learn to associate the comfort of basking with your smell...just a though.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Maybe set up an area with a pile of your old shirts to bask on, that way he will be surrounded by your smells while he's basking so he'll learn to associate the comfort of basking with your smell...just a though.

Reptiledude16

good idea and about the basking spot. what can i set it on and not catch it on fire? because my house has cought fire via stupid reptile lamps. 1 time it smoked my house up and my smoke alarms dident work

jtrux

5 Year Member
Hmm, do you have a metal shelf that's low that you would be able to clamp the light against? Are your lamps ceramic or plastic?

Reptiledude16

ive got a idea of some sort. but i have been meaning to ask this. He will burrow. AndNEVER come out. I have not seen him in a little while i have to dig him up to eat. and he wouldent eat shrimp today:/ he seems to only like mice

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Its generaly not good to dig out tegus. That is their safest place in the world to them, and when you dig the up, you associate yourself with the terror of being taken from that safe place. Now with that said, I have dug up my own tegu a few times for feeding or bathtime, but its not something that should be done often.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980