• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My one year old stopped using back legs

Guman

So sorry to hear your story! I would say that the close association with her escape/your recapture and the paralysis is to great a coincidence to ignore. Something did happen during that time...it happened very quickly. I would doubt it is caused by any diet/light deficiency...that would take time and progress noticeably. Even tho it's been 3 weeks...it could still be temp and she will work herself out of it...but, more likely, it is permanent especially without possible surgery. You DO need a Vet exam, soon.

If it is a spinal/nerve issue...which being on both sides, it probably is...and can't be resolved...there ARE some positives ! She doesn't show pain because it probably doesn't hurt. She still eats well, moves around well, drinks, burrows, sheds, and acts 'normal' because she is programmed to DO those things and will continue to do them. She doesn't 'think' about them as we would ...she lives in the moment and will use what she's got to survive ! She is in a safe, protected environment with someone to take care of her needs...if she were still in the wild, this would be fatal eventually...not so for her. She can, quite possibly lead a fairly normal life. Ask the Vet's opinion.

Couple of things: As stated by others here...we are NOT Vets or substitutes for professional knowledge...but, we do have experience that can be valuable...has for me ! Does she still whip her tail ? If so, that might indicate the paralysis is in the nerves to the legs only. Does she poop regularly ? Again, if so, this could indicate just the legs...it's IMPORTANT that she IS pooping...otherwise she'll die from impaction/poisoning ! The one thing that may happen is her legs will atrophy from lack of use.

Last, but not least...your 'gu can live a good life...she'll take it as it comes ! Look at how many 3 or even 2 legged dogs are around...how many damaged birds, animals, reptiles live on...some even in the wild ! This is NOT a death sentence...if everything else is functioning. BUT, you mentioned that you are a student...been there, lack of $$$, changing life situations, moving around. If you decide, after a Vet visit, that you can't/don't want (nobody's judging) to keep her...please, reach out to this forum.

Good Luck !
Very eloquently stated and great medical points made (at least from a human nurse's perspective)!

Dalton386

She has been poop
So sorry to hear your story! I would say that the close association with her escape/your recapture and the paralysis is to great a coincidence to ignore. Something did happen during that time...it happened very quickly. I would doubt it is caused by any diet/light deficiency...that would take time and progress noticeably. Even tho it's been 3 weeks...it could still be temp and she will work herself out of it...but, more likely, it is permanent especially without possible surgery. You DO need a Vet exam, soon.

If it is a spinal/nerve issue...which being on both sides, it probably is...and can't be resolved...there ARE some positives ! She doesn't show pain because it probably doesn't hurt. She still eats well, moves around well, drinks, burrows, sheds, and acts 'normal' because she is programmed to DO those things and will continue to do them. She doesn't 'think' about them as we would ...she lives in the moment and will use what she's got to survive ! She is in a safe, protected environment with someone to take care of her needs...if she were still in the wild, this would be fatal eventually...not so for her. She can, quite possibly lead a fairly normal life. Ask the Vet's opinion.

Couple of things: As stated by others here...we are NOT Vets or substitutes for professional knowledge...but, we do have experience that can be valuable...has for me ! Does she still whip her tail ? If so, that might indicate the paralysis is in the nerves to the legs only. Does she poop regularly ? Again, if so, this could indicate just the legs...it's IMPORTANT that she IS pooping...otherwise she'll die from impaction/poisoning ! The one thing that may happen is her legs will atrophy from lack of use.

Last, but not least...your 'gu can live a good life...she'll take it as it comes ! Look at how many 3 or even 2 legged dogs are around...how many damaged birds, animals, reptiles live on...some even in the wild ! This is NOT a death sentence...if everything else is functioning. BUT, you mentioned that you are a student...been there, lack of $$$, changing life situations, moving around. If you decide, after a Vet visit, that you can't/don't want (nobody's judging) to keep her...please, reach out to this forum.

Good Luck !

Good Luck !
She has been pooping normally. She can wiggle her tail at the top but I don’t think she can whip it anymore :( . But as I said she is eating perfect! She eats one small mouse a week, a lot of wax and meal worms throughout, collard greens, sometimes raw bacon as a snack. And I gave her some pedia lite watered down so she stays hydrated. She just launched at me across the tank thinking my hand was a mouse cause of the blood on my fingers. I have never seen her move so fast and agile even tho she only is using two legs.All and all she seems to be thriving as she just shed too , just sad to see this isn’t very normal for her:( I am going to take her to a vet next week for professional advice. Thank you so much this has Honeslty made me feel a lot better!

Dalton386

Another thing - if he uses his leg occasionally to turn, then maybe not paralyzed, right? Have you had him in a tub? Maybe he just strained them, and needs a little encouragement to use them. This is perplexing.
I have been way to scared to move her out of her tank. But putting her in a warm bath and working her legs w my fingers might do her good. Not saying it’ll fix anything but maybe she needs to get more exercise so her legs don’t atrophy. I’ve dealt w paralyzed dogs before but reptiles:/ This is my first reptile that had gotten hurt and I have 36+ Animals

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Wow - well let us know her progress! I'm really hoping for the best. Maybe a little swim might kick in some natural instincts. :)

rats

5 Year Member
Update everyone. She has passed in her sleep.. I am destroyed to see her go but I’m glad that she went peacefully instead of in pain. Thank you all for your help

I am so sorry to hear this. I'm glad it was peaceful. You'll remember her in your heart and that's what she'd want :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam