• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

my new b/w argentines

angelrose

5 Year Member
I got a pair of b/w argentines sexed for valentines day I named them Guinevere & Lancelot they are about 1 year old. the very first day about an hour after I placed them in their new enclosure I offered them each a hopper. they both ate one so fast. since then all they have been eating are hoppers. I do offer them fruit (banannas, cantelope, strawberries ...), ground turkey, cooked egg. they will lick everything and walk away. eating just the hoppers and nothing else so far is this harming them :?: how do / should I be introducing them to fruits and other things :?:
(argentines are new to me but beautiful & friendly) :-D :feba

redtail2426

5 Year Member
Just keep offering them other foods and if they dont eat then dont feed them give them a few days and I bet they will eat it.

nat

5 Year Member
how are you offering it to them ? I find that if I chop up some fruit (a variety of grapes, melons, etc) and offer them mixed in with the mice, my tegus tend to eat the mice and then later eat the fruit. Also, are you offering them so many mice that maybe they are full by the time they get to the fruit ? What variety of fruit have you used?

nat

5 Year Member
try offering really sweet fruit like sweet grapes and juicey canteloups... I find sweet grapes above everything are my tegus faviorites.

COWHER

5 Year Member
nat said:
try offering really sweet fruit like sweet grapes and juicey canteloups... I find sweet grapes above everything are my tegus faviorites.

yup yup! all good stuff!!! I use mango too

angelrose

5 Year Member
:lol5 PuffDragon they are not starving they are eating hoppers like there is no tomorrow. tho' today it was a good sign they ate some ground turkey also. I have been trying to get them to eat some fruits like I have been reading ;)

angelrose

5 Year Member
nat, that sounds real good :-D I have been putting the hoppers in first and then some banannas, cantelope and blueberries so far in separate dishes.
I will do it as you suggest, mix it up in the same dish and the mango I didn't even think of that :-D

I will be making them a real sweet breakfast tommorrow, thank you :-D

angelrose

5 Year Member
:?: this is just a question :?:

how important is fruit in an argentine tegus diet :roll: and must they have it :roll:

I am just curious because my angelrose a colombian tegu is all meat :p

nat

5 Year Member
plant and fruit matter make up such a large part of their diet in the wild, there has to be some benefit to it. So many vitamins in there! All of my args. eat fruit very regularly and sometimes even before they eat their mice so there is something in there that they are craving. Sorry I can't give you a better explanation... I am sure someone else will!

how did mixing the mice and the fruit work ? and did you use sweet grapes? If you still can't get them to eat their fruit, really look into sweet grapes!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
From what I have gathered, it IS a neccesary part of their diet, and if you limit their intake of the hoppers, they may be more receptive to eating fruit. Also, you could try mixing up the foods like nat mentioned...he knows what he's talking about.
:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan