• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My ex left me a tegu.HELP please

_Eric_

I came home from work a few months ago to find a note saying my gf left lol after I finished busting off my best dance moves I looked around to see if she took any of my stuff and found that she left all her animals.I know how to care for the water monitor she left but not the tegu.its been out of hibernation for a few days and Ive been feeding it small rats from rodent pro.
The cage its in is a 150 gallon aquarium with 2 5 watt floods for heat and 1 uvb light.humidity in 85-90% sometimes as high as 99% but I open the top when it gets that high.Hes in cypress mulch thats about 1 foot deap on the hot side and is only a few inches deep on the cool side.the tegu is the one that did the landscaping.
Fabio (the tegu) is 3 feet long and eats like a mad man.I have offered him crickets, eggs, and some greens but he will only eat rats and mice.His basking temp is 122 with a temp gun and his ambient temp is about 85.
His water dish is big enough for him to soak in but I haven't seen him soak since before he went out.

My questions are
1.should I be worried that he only eats rats?Thats all I feed my water monitors.
2.How big of a cage should I build for him?I know the cage hes in is to small at 5x2x2.I also plan on getting a female friend for him so it needs to hold them both.
3.Whats a good UVB bulb to buy?Im sure the one Im using now is no good.I dont use UVB with my monitors so Im clueless there.
4.How long after feeding him is it safe to hold him?
5.I have him on 24/7 heat cycle.thats how I keep my monitors because they borrow and have no idea if the lights are on.the tegu borrows when he sleeps to so I dont see the difference there.What do you experienced keepers think?
6.Whats the temp rang that I can bring him outside in?I try to walk him on the leash whenever I can so he can get some real sun.

Thanks for any help or criticism offered.

Attachments

• Mar09_005.jpg
    Mar09_005.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Mar04_002.jpg
    Mar04_002.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Mar09_006.jpg
    Mar09_006.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 14
water monitors have huge requirements and if your a beginner i would rehome it tegus arent nearly as hard
1. they both need a variety
2. 8x4x4 for the tegu a whole room for a water monitor with a swimming pool
3. i had no idea there was diffrent uvb but both a new one\
4. water monitor every day or every day after small meal tegu give it food the same as monitor
5. i have no idea because i am not a water monitor expert though i have studied them a little
6. 90f-120f for both if you live at a area that gets that hot

but tegus are still not beginners either thats what i meant but not like water monitors

_Eric_

Im not new to Water monitors,I have my own.I have a 12x12x7 cage for them with 2 133 gallon ponds.

Thanks for your info on the tegu,Fabio will be much obliged.

Water monitor cage

Attachments

• Feb18_002.jpg
    Feb18_002.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 9

_Eric_

Sure,but the lighting is no good for pics in there and they look like shadows lol

Attachments

• Feb06_001.jpg
    Feb06_001.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 9
  • Feb06_002.jpg
    Feb06_002.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Feb14_001.jpg
    Feb14_001.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Mar09_001.jpg
    Mar09_001.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 10

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
_Eric_ said:
I came home from work a few months ago to find a note saying my gf left lol after I finished busting off my best dance moves I looked around to see if she took any of my stuff and found that she left all her animals.I know how to care for the water monitor she left but not the tegu.its been out of hibernation for a few days and Ive been feeding it small rats from rodent pro.
The cage its in is a 150 gallon aquarium with 2 5 watt floods for heat and 1 uvb light.humidity in 85-90% sometimes as high as 99% but I open the top when it gets that high.Hes in cypress mulch thats about 1 foot deap on the hot side and is only a few inches deep on the cool side.the tegu is the one that did the landscaping.
Fabio (the tegu) is 3 feet long and eats like a mad man.I have offered him crickets, eggs, and some greens but he will only eat rats and mice.His basking temp is 122 with a temp gun and his ambient temp is about 85.
His water dish is big enough for him to soak in but I haven't seen him soak since before he went out.

My questions are
1.should I be worried that he only eats rats?Thats all I feed my water monitors. Yes and no. I believe as long as temps are high enough and the tegu is hydrated, rodents will cause no problems. Some believe the fur will cause impaction.
2.How big of a cage should I build for him?I know the cage hes in is to small at 5x2x2.I also plan on getting a female friend for him so it needs to hold them both. I would recommend 8x4x3-4.
3.Whats a good UVB bulb to buy?Im sure the one Im using now is no good.I dont use UVB with my monitors so Im clueless there. I use a ExoTerra SolarGlo MVB and I also have a 4' ReptiSun tube. MVBs are great because they provide heat and UVB, but are pricey.
4.How long after feeding him is it safe to hold him? If he eats a lot, I would wait a few hours otherwise immediately after eating is fine.
5.I have him on 24/7 heat cycle.thats how I keep my monitors because they borrow and have no idea if the lights are on.the tegu borrows when he sleeps to so I dont see the difference there.What do you experienced keepers think? Heat can be kept on 24 hours, but is not necessary. It will save you money if you turn off all the lights/heat at night and give him a more natural temp drop. As long as temps don't get below 65, he will be fine.
6.Whats the temp rang that I can bring him outside in?I try to walk him on the leash whenever I can so he can get some real sun. I have been taking mine out recently and it has been high 60's - low 70's. I would say high 60's to low 90's should be ok.

I would lower the basking temp unless of course he is using it with no problems. Tegus generally bask at around 110-115. Ambient temps sound good, as long as he can get down to about 75 on the cool end. Humidity seems a bit high, 75%-80% would be better in my opinion.

How do you keep your water monitor pond clean?

_Eric_

james.w said:
I would lower the basking temp unless of course he is using it with no problems. Tegus generally bask at around 110-115. Ambient temps sound good, as long as he can get down to about 75 on the cool end. Humidity seems a bit high, 75%-80% would be better in my opinion.

How do you keep your water monitor pond clean?

Fabio actually piles the cypress mulch up to make his own basking spot,I looked today and he has lowered in about an inch but I didnt check the temp because hes sleeping and I didnt want to wake him up.

The water monitor ponds both have 2 inch drains in them so all I have to do is turn a lever and it drains then into my yard.Then I wash both ponds out with hot water and fill them back up.Right now I only need to do it once a week but when there bigger Ill have to do it daily.It takes about an hour for the whole proses.

Compnerd7

_Eric_ said:
I came home from work a few months ago to find a note saying my gf left lol after I finished busting off my best dance moves

My questions are
1.should I be worried that he only eats rats?Thats all I feed my water monitors.
2.How big of a cage should I build for him?I know the cage hes in is to small at 5x2x2.I also plan on getting a female friend for him so it needs to hold them both.
3.Whats a good UVB bulb to buy?Im sure the one Im using now is no good.I dont use UVB with my monitors so Im clueless there.
5.I have him on 24/7 heat cycle.thats how I keep my monitors because they borrow and have no idea if the lights are on.the tegu borrows when he sleeps to so I dont see the difference there.What do you experienced keepers think?
6.Whats the temp rang that I can bring him outside in?I try to walk him on the leash whenever I can so he can get some real sun.

LOL I'm guessing you didn't along?

1.A full diet of rats is not suggested, here is a link of good food for a Tegu http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=6452#axzz1oqQ0ImZl

2. As was stated, 8X4X4, you seem to be pretty adept to building cages from the looks of your dope monitor set ups. It can also depend on the species of Tegu, is he a B&W or Red, or a smaller Golden? You can get away with a smaller 6X4X4 if you don't have the space depending on the species.

3. Reptiglo 10.0 is the best

4.I give my Tegu some time to digest his food before I handle him, maybe 1 - 2 hours.

5.A 24/7 heat cycle is fine. I turn off all my lights at night, and the temps drop into the high 70's all night which is fine, saves a little $ on the electric bill.

6.Anywhere in the 70s rage and higher should be more then safe, since he is more then likely not going to be outside for long, walking him is great exercise and of course the all natural sunshine:cool:.

So far you seem to be doing pretty good, just a few tweaks and you got it great. If you keep monitors then a Tegu should be a piece of acake for you. Here is a good overall care sheet to look over for food, housing, lighting ect...
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7712#axzz1oqQ0ImZl

_Eric_

Compnerd7 said:
_Eric_ said:
I came home from work a few months ago to find a note saying my gf left lol after I finished busting off my best dance moves

My questions are

LOL I'm guessing you didn't along?

1.A full diet of rats is not suggested, here is a link of good food for a Tegu http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=6452#axzz1oqQ0ImZl

2. As was stated, 8X4X4, you seem to be pretty adept to building cages from the looks of your dope monitor set ups. It can also depend on the species of Tegu, is he a B&W or Red, or a smaller Golden? You can get away with a smaller 6X4X4 if you don't have the space depending on the species.

4.I give my Tegu some time to digest his food before I handle him, maybe 1 - 2 hours.

5.A 24/7 heat cycle is fine. I turn off all my lights at night, and the temps drop into the high 70's all night which is fine, saves a little $ on the electric bill.

6.Anywhere in the 70s rage and higher should be more then safe, since he is more then likely not going to be outside for long, walking him is great exercise and of course the all natural sunshine:cool:.

So far you seem to be doing pretty good, just a few tweaks and you got it great. If you keep monitors then a Tegu should be a piece of acake for you. Here is a good overall care sheet to look over for food, housing, lighting ect...
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7712#axzz1oqQ0ImZl

Thanks for the link,the problem is he wont eat anything other then rodents.Do you think it could be because of his age?I have no idea how old he is but he is 3 feet long.The pet store my ex got him from didnt know the age and even told me that tegus dont hibernate lol I stopped asking questions at that point lol

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Stop feeding for a few days to a week then start offering other food items.

Compnerd7

james.w said:
Compnerd7 said:

How much experience do you have with these bulbs?

Quite a bit, I use to use the 5.0 until they came out with the 10.0. They have a very high UVB output along with a nice rage of the spectrum which as we know causes the skin to produce D3 which in turn helps the the body regulate calcium metabolism.

I have found that when using the 10.0 for my Bearded Dragons they can take it at full strength UV radiation all day long without any problems; being that they are a dessert species. The 10.0 is all I have used on them for as long as I can remember. If I was housing an Anole or tropical Gecko I would would scale down a bit to a lower output bulb.

The reason I still chose the 10.0 for my Tegu is because I can use less UVB bulbs to achieve proper D3 levels and avoid MBD. Since Tegus spend quite a bit of time burrowed or in their hides, the high output comes in handy when they come out to bask and expose themselves to it. So far with my Tegu, it's created an excellent balance.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The reason I ask is quite a few tegus have developed eye problems from the use of the coil uvb bulbs.

Compnerd7

james.w said:
The reason I ask is quite a few tegus have developed eye problems from the use of the coil uvb bulbs.

I don't use the coil bulbs I use these:

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/exo-terra-repti-glo-10-0-desert-terrarium-lamp-24-inches-20-watt.html?gclid=CIvw1JGr4K4CFQKEhwod7iLcaA

Do you that would make difference in light intensity, rather then use the higher brightness coil bulbs?

_Eric_

Compnerd7 said:
james.w said:

I don't use the coil bulbs I use these:

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/exo-terra-repti-glo-10-0-desert-terrarium-lamp-24-inches-20-watt.html?gclid=CIvw1JGr4K4CFQKEhwod7iLcaA

Do you that would make difference in light intensity, rather then use the higher brightness coil bulbs?

Im going to give that bulb a shot next time I go to a pet store

Logie_Bear

Thanks for the link,the problem is he wont eat anything other then rodents.Do you think it could be because of his age?I have no idea how old he is but he is 3 feet long.The pet store my ex got him from didnt know the age and even told me that tegus dont hibernate lol I stopped asking questions at that point lol

Perhaps you have a Columbian? They max out around 3-4 feet and, to my understanding, do not hibernate.

_Eric_

Logie_Bear said:

Perhaps you have a Columbian? They max out around 3-4 feet and, to my understanding, do not hibernate.

Hes a black and white

Attachments

• Mar09_005.jpg
    Mar09_005.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 4

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus