• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My enclosure idea.

KyleMD

5 Year Member
ok so i want to make the 6x3x3 but my doors width is only like 27inches wide. figures. But i had an idea. what if i build it in two parts? i top and a bottom. and then have the top lock down onto the bottom with a key lock. does this sound plausable?

thestem07

5 Year Member
you could build it in pieces like top, bottom and 4 sides then just tack it together with screws when you get into the room you want it in.
You could also, if you want to build it in only 2 part, make the top peg into the bottom, then just glue the pegs. I would put like wood glue in the bottom hole then put the top in place. The tighter the pegs fit in the hold the better, so a hammer may be needed to lightly tap the pegs into place and make the joint flush.
Hope I helped

KyleMD

5 Year Member
thanks but im only gonna be living here for another 2 1/2 years lol. so i want to be able to easily take it part again

chris allen

5 Year Member
If you want to be able to take it with you, use screws and just assemble where you want it, and take it apart when you leave.

What are you going to make it out of? Plywood, melamine, going to finish inside, type of doors??

thestem07

5 Year Member
If you want it to be easy to take apart you can make the pegs not fit so tight and put latches on all 4 corners. The screw idea wouldn't be to hard to take apart, as long as you don't strip out the screw heads. I suggest the pegs in all four corners to add stability and the 4 latches to hold it together. With out the pegs the top will most likely slide around, unless you planned on putting a key lock on all 4 sides.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You have the right idea, making the enclosure in 2 pieces. It's much easier to build it in the garage and move it into place when it's finished.

Here are my enclosures, built in 2 pieces. http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=345 The only difference is I replaced the vinyl coated 1/2" hardware cloth on the doors with plexi-glas on the inside to keep in the humidity. I also added the upper front panel (wife wanted it left off so she could see him!).

I'm planning on lowering the height of them to reduce the halogen bulb wattage required. I'm going to cut them off at the height of the lights, remove the screen and hang the bulbs inside with wire mesh guards. Then I can stack 3!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlifKat