• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My baby giant

The captain

5 Year Member
Picture974-1.jpg

Picture975.jpg

skip a step
Picture976.jpg

Skip a few more :p
Picture978.jpg

Picture982.jpg

I definitely need a bigger setup, and some good hides.
he was pretty chill in the bag, but probably because he was cold. there was some dried blood on the bag, hope he didn't make anyone bleed!
he ate a super worm right away.
he seems very inquisitive, sat up at the glass to check me out.
How long should i give him before handling?

thanks guys
Sammy

The captain

5 Year Member
haha thanks
he was sunning for a few minutes, and then hid.
i wonder if he will come out?
will i have to take him from the hide to feed?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Don't take him out, you'll have a hard time earning his trust. If he's hungry he'll eat. If he seems to come out once in a while sit by his tank and read a book. Totally ignore him. Let him get used to seeing you and he'll learn you're not a threat.

The captain

5 Year Member
k thanks

im about to order some mice online.
Should i go pinkies or fuzzies?
he seems like fuzzy sized.

also, how come no one feeds baby rats? i know they are better for snakes. i know mice have more bones and fuzz.

jor71

5 Year Member
give him/her some time to get acclimated. When I got my Tegu I did not handle him at all the first day. The following morning I handled him just so I could place him in his feeding bin to eat (he started eating right away). The below links will show you how to properly handle a tegu when removing him/her from their enclosure.

I only handled my Tegu that way for the first week. The second week I would get him out and allow him to walk on my arms for a few minutes and I placed him in the bin.

You need to be patient and remember you must go by their terms. Allow him/her to gain your trust and before you know it, he/she will not run away and hide when you approach him/her.

You can also put a shirt you have recently worn (no perfume/cologne) and place it in the enclosure (supervised and away from the heat source).

Also note, every Tegu is different and every person will have their own way of doing things. What works for one, may not for the other. I wish you luck!

Here are the two links of videos made by Bobby Hill on how to handle your Tegu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6U_3NCDot8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlWvpgYzFOE&feature=related

My name is Joe Rivera and I approve this message!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am glad you like him Sammy!!

The blood stains on the bag are old, I have a motel that gives me the old pillow cases, that is why it had stains. Was the heat pack still warm when you opened the box?

The captain

5 Year Member
The pack wasn't cold, but the goo was a bit cool.
The pack was slightly warm, but very faintly.

he is all dug up, its funny watching him burrow under the sub, all you see is moving dirt like in cadyshack.

The captain

5 Year Member
he is under the substrate, will he come out?
i really dont get the difference between hiding and hibernating.
Bobby said he was in hibe when he picked him.

The captain

5 Year Member
Also i want to know:
Do i still need to run uv and basking lights during hibernation?

and is the reptisun bulb the best?

thanks
sam

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If he doesn't come out for days or weeks, he's hibernating. I'd leave the lights on for another week and if you see no sign of him turn the lights off.

The ReptiSun 10 (long tube) is good, that's what I use. For a young Tegu you'll want to get him within 12" of the bulb. If he's 16" or more you'll want to get a Mercury Vapor bulb, which has much higher UVB output and provides heat. But you may not have to worry about that for a while. If he's down for a few months you'll have plenty of time to read up on Tegu's and make plans for a large enclosure that you'll need in a year or so.

Here's some reading on Hibernation. http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=826

The captain

5 Year Member
yep thanks, i read that article last night in the booklet bobby sent me.
still hiding, we will see.

i was planning on ordering a few power suns for all my herps, i think they will like it. i dont know how you guys put up with the hibernation, lol it so boring already, like things never changed!

The captain

5 Year Member
last q guys

Is there a temp that his setup shouldnt fall below during hibernation?

also, do i need to maintain the humidity?

thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus