• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Moving Advice

OEFVet

Hey everyone!

So I've run into a snag. On the 22 of April the movers are coming to pick all our stuff up (enclosure included). It will take 4-6 weeks for delivery. Originally, a friend who is a breeder was going to watch my Tegu but has since let me know he is unable to. Any ideas how to keep a Tegu for 4-6 weeks without an enclosure? We are currently siding with a small dog cage, but that will only be able to contain him. He's 34" now, which means his old 40 gal breeder is way to small. We're moving from southern Utah to Alaska, that's why movers are gonna take so long.

Any advice would be great. I've considered taking him back down to exotic pets and asking them to babysit, but I don't think I'd trust them.

Thanks,
Robert

dpjm

5 Year Member
You're right about the 40 gal. I bought a 300 gal for my tegu when I first got him at about 6 months of age. After not even a year of having him in there I had already felt he had outgrown it, and he has had free run of a spare bedroom ever since. It requires some modification to the room but when all that work is done it works very well and gives Ripper a lot of space to roam and I can always set up enrichment-type stuff in there for him to climb on and explore.

I would definitely recommend this if you have the extra room.

If you don't, then I say you're in a bit of a tough position. How fast can you build or acquire an enclosure when you get to Alaska?

OEFVet

The movers come and then we'll head up about 3 weeks after. That way when we get there, the movers will hopefully be about there. So his temporary fix needs to to be able to fit into the back seats of my car. This whole move is a nightmare for him (it's 3 days to WA then 4 days on the ferry).

Thanks for commenting dpjm

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
OK- How about the bathroom? Preferebly, one with a walk-in shower? Just make sure that the light for warmth is safe and sound the hell away from any water and fixed such that it CAN'T fall to the floor.

viejo

5 Year Member
I live in La Verkin. I have a ♂ tegu about 40". I would offer to sit yours but I only have the one suitable enclosure & as they are both ♂s, not a good mix. Where is Exotic Pets?

OEFVet

I just don't know if I could trust them to babysit and ship him off to me in Alaska. There's so many "what-if's"

viejo

5 Year Member
How are you traveling to Alaska? Perhaps you could hand carry him or ship him as cargo if flying,

viejo

5 Year Member
I am sure that Exotic Pets could ship him for you & they should have plenty of experience.

OEFVet

How are you traveling to Alaska? Perhaps you could hand carry him or ship him as cargo if flying,
The problem is not having the enclosure for 4-6 weeks. He could make the drive/ferry trip, but still be out of a proper home for that long.

OEFVet

Was the bathroom idea really not good??
Sorry Walter, just got on this morning to check and missed that one. Bathroom idea is not really an option due to living conditions. Lease is out soon and we'll be living with family for a few weeks before the move up.

Fatal_S

A dog kennel and a knock-down plywood enclosure with a MVB?
Basically while in the car he'd be in the kennel (with a towel or such), and then whenever you're stationary you can set up the "enclosure" with the MVB for him. Knock-down so it can all fit in the car easier?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029