• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Monitor Keepers

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have been researching monitors as I want to get one, and I was just curious who here keeps them. Also those of you who have kept them in the past, chime in with your experiences.

I am looking at V. Panoptes, V. Ornatus, V. Jobiensis, and V. Melinus

Draco D Tegu

Well I have a savannah. This is my third one. The others I had way back when when it was the trend to feed a lot of higher protien and fatty foods, so they died from fatty liver. The one I have now is on solely insects for the first year of its life, with ground turkey as a treat. He's a pastel sav, a little nippy right now but overall in great condition. You will need to make sure that you offer him substrate that will hold a burrow. I use organic topsoil (no vermiculite) mixed with my cypress mulch. Holds the humidity and allows for him to dig his den.

But that's not a species you're looking at, so dunno if that is any help whatsoever!

Varanus K.Face

I think v.flavirufus is one of the best choices for a first monitor. They dont get huge, they are interesting, and they are relatively easy to tame. I would for sure advise against v.ornatus, as that is a very large and usually difficult species, although aaammmmmaaaazzziinnggg in their own right, not a good starter monitor. you really need a good understanding of how they think and what motivates them first, and that is easier achieved with certain species. V.panoptes is awesome too, but can be difficult....a flavi is very similar but smaller and generally less agressive in my experience, though it all depends on who you talk to :)

Hope it helped!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What do you think about Melinus for a first monitor? I want something that gets fairly large, and is not going to leave me with "empty cage syndrome".

Varanus K.Face

maybe look into rudicollis! They are awesome animals and I have had only good experiences with them :) v.a.albigularis are awesome too, probably one of my favorite monitors. They dont get as big as blackthroats, but are still good size, heavy bodied monitors that are very pretty and very sweet. Albigularis is the best choice in my opinion, but then again thats just my opinion. Ultimately its all you, but in my house you can't go wrong with a whitethroat :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have done a little research on Rudicollis, and they seem interesting. So I think it is down to Melinus, Jobiensis, Rudicollis, and Panoptes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me