• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Might be getting a ball python

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
My friend wants to buy a ball python and he wants me to buy one too, so that in a couple years we can start breeding. So we might be visiting Henry Piorun. But the fact is that, I really don't want another reptile yet, but my friend says that he'll pay half of the ball python of my choice, as long as it's under $360. Can anyone tell me a little more about them? The only kind of snake that I've ever owned was a red tail boa, and I really didin't know much about them either. I already looked at all kinds of site, but all of them seems to be different. So I'm stuck between a nice 3' ball python, or a 6' ball python. I don't know how big they'll get.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
A 6' ball is pretty big. You'll probably end up with a 3-5 foot ball depending on sex, the female being of course the larger. Balls are amazing pets. I got Stella (our female) and have nothing bad to say. She is SUPER cool. If you get em young, you don't even notice them getting bigger, and they grow up as sweet as pie. I wash my hands before and after handling her to prevent any lingering smells (such as mice) and have never been bitten. I plan on building RehabRalphy's 4'x2'x18" cage for her and getting her a boy. I would just separate a pair when they are eating. A normal is nice and inexpensive, easy to care for, and super friendly. Go for it!

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
A 6' ball is pretty big. You'll probably end up with a 3-5 foot ball depending on sex, the female being of course the larger. Balls are amazing pets. I got Stella (our female) and have nothing bad to say. She is SUPER cool. If you get em young, you don't even notice them getting bigger, and they grow up as sweet as pie. I wash my hands before and after handling her to prevent any lingering smells (such as mice) and have never been bitten. I plan on building RehabRalphy's 4'x2'x18" cage for her and getting her a boy. I would just separate a pair when they are eating. A normal is nice and inexpensive, easy to care for, and super friendly. Go for it!

Its good to hear that the old tutorial thread is getting good use ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the python goes, BP's are great pets. Do they really cost $360 up there in Canada? You can find babies as low as $25 here in the states, sometimes even cheaper!

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
RehabRalphy said:
ApriliaRufo said:

Its good to hear that the old tutorial thread is getting good use ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the python goes, BP's are great pets. Do they really cost $360 up there in Canada? You can find babies as low as $25 here in the states, sometimes even cheaper!

Matt I got a question about that tutorial. You have the top and bottom as 48x24 correct? And the back as 46x18? Why is it 46"? The mdf is only have inch, wouldn't that only be an inch total off it if the sides would be on the inside? And what are the sizes of the 2 front pieces that support the window? It's like the perfect ball cage, and I need to make it as soon as possible.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
well, my parents are not going to be happy about me having another reptile in the house, they hate lizards, and i can't imagine a snake, it's just another one of those hiding a snake
but whatever, it's like a free snake that i'll be getting, i want a baby male pastel, and he might be living in a rubbermaid container with a water bowl and aspen bedding with a rock to help them shed. so no worries, just need to know what size males will get up to

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
KoreanDeathKid said:
well, my parents are not going to be happy about me having another reptile in the house, they hate lizards, and i can't imagine a snake, it's just another one of those hiding a snake
but whatever, it's like a free snake that i'll be getting, i want a baby male pastel, and he might be living in a rubbermaid container with a water bowl and aspen bedding with a rock to help them shed. so no worries, just need to know what size males will get up to

baby male pastels are like 75-150 bucks as hatchlings here. If he's paying up to 360, buy a 100% het for pied normal for like 150-200 and build Ralphy's cage with the rest. When they breed, pied hatchlings are worth 2g's at least in US dollars. Besides that, pieds imo are the most beautiful snakes in the world. I'd sell a kidney for one. your male is most likely gonna get to be 4-5ft max. more likely 4 ft. I was pissed when Desi said she wanted a snake because I was terrified of snakes, but we got stella and now I won't let Des anywhere near her. I hold her for like 4 hours a day, and she behaves perfectly. Stella and our cat curl up on our couch for warmth while we watch Dr. Brady Barr catch wild retics on tv.

dorton

5 Year Member
My male is about 3ft, and has stayed there for almost a year.
Cool snakes for sure.

Hey ApriliaRufo,
I got a bad bite! I got a bad bite! I got a bad bite! Its a real bad bite! I gotta get outta here! I got a bad bite! I got a bad bite! I got a bad bite! Its a real bad bite! I gotta get outta here!I got a bad bite! I got a bad bite! I got a bad bite! Its a real bad bite! I gotta get outta here!
I love that episode.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
back is 47", correct.

The supports are placed behind the upper and lower portions of the storm door to add support. You can not screw directly onto the MDF when installing the door, MDF overtime will strip out the screws on your door, thus causing damage to the cage. The supports are there to take the stress from the door. I used 2 24" 1x2 slats on the upper and the lower behind the door.

I know we talked about this in the chatroom, but if anyone else wanted to know, then here ya go.

Serafim

5 Year Member
Ball pythons are great snakes. Not just because of their popularity in the herp community. I enjoy them. Most of my balls are perfect eating machines but my two pastels are super picky( one downfall). They stay relatively small I do have an 18 year old female that is over 5 foot but the average in my collection is 4 foot. The small size makes the use of a rack system ideal for multiple snakes. You cannot go wrong with a carefully selected healthy ball python. Its a great starter...

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
RehabRalphy said:
back is 47", correct.

The supports are placed behind the upper and lower portions of the storm door to add support. You can not screw directly onto the MDF when installing the door, MDF overtime will strip out the screws on your door, thus causing damage to the cage. The supports are there to take the stress from the door. I used 2 24" 1x2 slats on the upper and the lower behind the door.

I know we talked about this in the chatroom, but if anyone else wanted to know, then here ya go.

P.s. world - Mike a.k.a. RehabRalphy. Good guy and sharp on the wits. Oh and Mike could I please please have a short walkthrough on the cage with the stand in front of your fence in that photo you showed me? P.m. or e-mail <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

Sorry to dirty your thread Death, get the ball, they are incredible pets.

rebeccaej

5 Year Member
I've got a couple ball pythons and they are great snakes, and probably the best constrictor for a first snake! They can be picky eaters, so just try different things with their food. They can bite, but it doesn't hurt too badly. A big concern with balls is their shyness, which can cause them to be stressed easily, especially as babies. As far as what color morph, just get what you like, or get two hets for something that you like. Good luck!

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
well, here's me getting back to the topic, my friend decided to get a coastal carpet python insted after i turned down on his offer
but for some reason, ball pythons seem to fit my life style perfectly, i plan on building a enclosure for some wierd reason, and was making a list of reptiles i could be putting in there, and ball python happened to be one
i'm going to need everything info i can get on a male ball python
what is a average for a small male?
can they eat once every 2 weeks?
do they make any noise? (my parents are kinda getting made because of the dog barking)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.