• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Melinus

prowler33

Ok I have a youngster that will only eat a strip of raw catfish each day , about three quarters of an inch long and a quarter inch thick. I know this will not do but don't know how long he can go without putting him in any danger. I am using calcium with d3 and multivitamin herp . All and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Have tried pinkies, ground turkey, shrimp, cat food rinsed high grade, ground chicken, and scrambled egg which he will eat bits of , and mega worms with no luck .
Thanks Steve

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am having problems getting my melinus to eat as well. Have you tried crickets or roaches? What is your enclosure like, any pics?

prowler33

james.w said:
I am having problems getting my melinus to eat as well. Have you tried crickets or roaches? What is your enclosure like, any pics?

No I haven't tried either, but will try crickets soon and looking into buying roaches after that. What is yours eating when it eats ?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He is definitely eating crickets. I've put some roaches in there, but not sure if they are hiding or have been eaten. He has taken pinkies from tongs a couple times, but he is usually hiding.

prowler33

That's more than mine eats, I put food in a dish and leave it until I'm home from work. I would be stoked if he ate one pinky. Was your pinky live or frozen thawed? Where did you finally get yours from? If you give me your e mail I can send you pics of tank he is in now. I was trying to get someones on fauna classifieds that had a dead line but it never came to be . Let's keep in touch.
Steve

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The pinky was F/T. I got him from a local shop. I made a offer on that one on fauna, but he didn't want to ship. There is a group of them on there now. I'll pm you my email.

Varanus K.Face

This sounds kinda gnar, but try cutting a fresh killed pinky in half. Make sure its nice and bloody and all the insides are hanging out. I have had really good luck getting various varanid hatchlings started this way.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I tried something like that, I cut up a frozen mouse and then thawed it out and put it in the cage. He didn't touch it. :( it definitely was gross though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu