• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Meet Kimosabi, my Argentine B&W Tegu

ThorTheTegu

(soon to be tegu owner) Nice enclosure, I plan on making one very similar in style to yours, 4x3x2, and I was wondering what type of bulbs your using. Thanks

Max713

ThorTheTegu said:
(soon to be tegu owner) Nice enclosure, I plan on making one very similar in style to yours, 4x3x2, and I was wondering what type of bulbs your using. Thanks

I'm using a total of 3 bulbs:
1- Reptisun 160w UVB- Basking lamp
1- 50w Halogen Flood Bulb- From a hardware store, for extra lighting and a little heat
1- 50w Ceramic Heat Element- Only on at night to keep night time temps above 70F

Here's a link to a more detailed description of the build:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thetegu.com/showthread.php?10349-First-time-Tegu-owner-planning-an-adult-enclosure-input-needed!/page2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://thetegu.com/showthread.php?10349 ... ded!/page2</a><!-- m -->

Soon to be Tegu owner, make sure you research heavily before purchase!, Tegu's require a great amount of attention and effort!

Also, be prepared to build another enclosure, twice as big within a year!

Max713

Experimenting with a new basking setup:
DSC_0002-11.jpg

DSC_0001-12.jpg

I'll report back with a surface temp once the rock comes up to full temperature, also change his climbing log into another hide on the warm side, seen at the right side of the pictures. I regularly find him burrowed under the mulch on the hot side, so I figured I would try providing a hot side hide and see how he reacts.
I can see now that experimenting with basking positions will become a regular occurrence as he grows, I took a quick measurement of Kimo today while he was in the tub, he approximately just under 15", which means he grew an inch in less than a month already! Not bad for his first 3 weeks here I'd say.

ThorTheTegu

Thanks. I have spent over a solid week watching videos, reading from sites, and talking to people all about Tegus. I was just curious on the wattage and type of bulb i should use for my size tank. I had originally planned a 8x4x3, but doing a 4x3x2 will save me over 100$ (smaller budget now compared to 8-12 months from now) and space. Thanks again!

Max713

ThorTheTegu said:
Thanks. I have spent over a solid week watching videos, reading from sites, and talking to people all about Tegus. I was just curious on the wattage and type of bulb i should use for my size tank. I had originally planned a 8x4x3, but doing a 4x3x2 will save me over 100$ (smaller budget now compared to 8-12 months from now) and space. Thanks again!

No problem, just wanted to make sure you are aware of the immense amount of responsibility that comes with owning a Tegu, and the need to plan on owning one for the next 20 years!
As for further info on bulbs, the combo I'm using seems to work perfect. A constant 85F ambient temp. The Repti-sun provides the needed UVB light, as well as appropriate basking temps.

Max713

Well, my new rock only provided a 102F basking temp >: (
So I raised it up 2.5" by placing plywood cut to length under the substrate, I'll report back with the new surface temps.

DSC_0001-13.jpg

And Kimo enjoying his new spot
DSC_0001-14.jpg

Max713

Was trying to get a feeding video, Kimo wasn't cooperating.

It's funny, about 20 minutes after the video, he started exploring, then I heard him scratching at the plexiglass, I just slid it open and let him out, he went exploring the apartment again for 15 minutes or so.

G

Just noticed ...

I would secure the light [better yet get a different fixture ] ...

Looks like at best a broken forty dollar bulb At worst your house and tegu burned up ...

Max713

Brandonjames said:
wow, Very nice! That looks incredible. If I did something like this my tegu would destroy it.

Thanks! It's becoming such a hobby.

And I'm sure Kimo will destroy it eventually too, and I'll just rebuild :)

Max713

Started a new thread, this is where I'll be posting all new info on Kimo.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8793&p=78559#p78559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8793&p=78559#p78559</a><!-- l -->

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me