• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Meet Jaeger :)

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
I picked this guy up from Tegu Topia. He is 100% Canadian bred and hatched. I'm looking forward to watching him grow up.

His temporary enclosure (building his adult cage in a couple weeks):
228174_10152089494535134_417435097_n.jpg

Here is Jaeger:
548238_10152089494630134_413701378_n.jpg

401552_10152089494755134_1816586955_n.jpg

58309_10152089494845134_1721533266_n.jpg

399162_10152089495240134_56757308_n.jpg

420781_10152089495460134_618925185_n.jpg

283162_10152089495865134_96467897_n.jpg

310532_10152089496020134_1872534133_n.jpg

What I got with him (T-Shirt, Lizard/Snake bag, certificate certifying he was bred and hatched in Canada, hatch date, CITES, health guarantee)
580438_10152089494980134_1006676323_n.jpg

kim86

I got mine from Tegu Topia as well! I guess we both have sibling Tegus! I loved the packaging mine came in too with the certificate. Cindy is AWESOME. There's a pic in my signature of Tybalt... she seems to have gotten some nice looking babies this year. Congrats!

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats on the new one. Do you still have your red? If so, I would love to see pictures of her.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
I made no progress with my Red at all so I handed her over to Tegu Topia. When I went to pick up Jaeger, the Red STARED at me like "oh GOD it's that woman again". According to Cindy (Owner of Tegu Topia), she's been eating great and I could tell since she was much fatter when I saw her. Apparently the thing just HATED me. I'll miss her but I just couldn't make progress with her. She was still the size of a small yearling and she's about 2 years old. I know she's in good hands now. I hope Cindy is able to help her grow to a healthy size and maybe one day she may produce for her. Maybe we'll be seeing one of her (or his) babies in the future.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
kim86 said:
I got mine from Tegu Topia as well! I guess we both have sibling Tegus! I loved the packaging mine came in too with the certificate. Cindy is AWESOME. There's a pic in my signature of Tybalt... she seems to have gotten some nice looking babies this year. Congrats!

Do you have any photos of him and his enclosure? Is he starting to hibernate for you or is he still active? What's he been eating?

I'm a little disheartened that Jaeger is already hiding and will not come back out... I've had horrid luck with lizards lately and I'm just so worried about him turning into another Lucy (my past import Red Tegu who always hid and never ate).

He's only been home for one day and I understand it's normal for them to hide but I'm just a little pessimistic about it all. I feel like I have no luck with tegus (even though I've only had him for a day). I guess I just need reassurance.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
I wanted to see where he was hiding (UNDER his bucket...) and scared him out by accident. He's been awake ever since. I decided to offer food soon after and he BOLTED from the cool end to his basking spot and scarfed down dusted hearts and gizzards... This is such a new experience for me. My previous tegu rarely and reluctantly ate for me...

Here he is again:
390497_10152092257530134_852622832_n.jpg

kim86

Little Wise Owl said:
kim86 said:

Do you have any photos of him and his enclosure? Is he starting to hibernate for you or is he still active? What's he been eating?

I'm a little disheartened that Jaeger is already hiding and will not come back out... I've had horrid luck with lizards lately and I'm just so worried about him turning into another Lucy (my past import Red Tegu who always hid and never ate).

He's only been home for one day and I understand it's normal for them to hide but I'm just a little pessimistic about it all. I feel like I have no luck with tegus (even though I've only had him for a day). I guess I just need reassurance.

He's in a glass tank that is about 4 feet long by 3 feet right now, with a Solar Glo MVB bulb on one side where the basking area is. Lots of different dirt and bark type bedding and his hide on one side. It's a simple setup. but it works. He's very easy going and doesn't huff, hiss or run away when I'm in the cage doing stuff and seems to enjoy being handled. He eats well on dusted crickets, raw ground turkey/chicken mix and whole f/t prey. I find hopper mice are a good size, he chokes 'em back like it's nothing!

He hid for the first day or two when I got him, but now he comes out an hour or so after lights come on at 10am, basks and explores for a few hours and goes back underground until the evening and basks a tiny bit and then goes to sleep for the night. Sometimes if he's not out when I have to feed him, I will drag my finger through the substrate until he wakes up and comes out on his own... he doesn't seem to mind. I don't think he's going into hibernation yet, he's pretty steady with the amount he basks/eats/sleeps.

Just keep an eye out, I'm sure Jaeger will be the same very soon!

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
Sounds awesome. :) The way he was acting while I was hooking up more heating was pretty neat. My last tegu would have ran and hid and not come back out but he was purely just interested in what I was doing. Sometimes he would get spooked by any clunks I'd make but then he'd just come right back to see what I was doing. I'm already loving him :)

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
Today I held him in his tank and he did a little open-mouth display (it was kind of adorable). That's all he did though. Just sat there with an open mouth... then a closed mouth.... then open again. He was the one in my hand though. lol I didn't really have any sort of grip on him. I lowered him to the floor when he closed his mouth for good. Then he got some chicken hearts and snails.

391629_10152093518300134_1854758658_n.jpg

Steven.

Little Wise Owl said:
Today I held him in his tank and he did a little open-mouth display (it was kind of adorable). That's all he did though. Just sat there with an open mouth... then a closed mouth.... then open again. He was the one in my hand though. lol I didn't really have any sort of grip on him. I lowered him to the floor when he closed his mouth for good. Then he got some chicken hearts and snails.

391629_10152093518300134_1854758658_n.jpg

If you dont mind me asking, whats the temps and humidty on hot/cold side of his cage?.. That open mouth can be him trying to cool his body off cause its too hot. Not saying you dont know what your doing, just checking in, thats all =]

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
He only did the display in my hands. The warm side is about 85-86F and the cool side is about 74-76F with a basking spot of 105F. He was also on the cool side when this occurred. :)

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
Is it normal for hatchlings to randomly spazz out as if there were an invisible hand chasing them...? He's flipping around the cage like something's spooked him even though nothing's there and nothing ever was. He does it worse if I walk by. Even when I picked him up earlier, he didn't freak out like he is now...

I decided to bring my laptop over and just sit beside the tank and let him know that I'm not gonna do anything to him. He seems to have calmed down kind of. He's acting like I have a gun but was fine earlier and yesterday. What gives? A hatchling trait, I'm guessing?

kim86

Mine explores his cage and tries to find ways to escape, maybe the same kind of thing with yours? Is there loud music or thumping around that could be freaking him out?

Steven.

Little Wise Owl said:
He only did the display in my hands. The warm side is about 85-86F and the cool side is about 74-76F with a basking spot of 105F. He was also on the cool side when this occurred. :)

excellent

kim86 said:
He was trying to be a badass, nope not happenin'.

I guess so lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029