• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

MDF enclosure

codingcomrade

5 Year Member
Hi I am new to the site and will be getting my first Tegu tomorrow. I have been looking into this for a long time, but just had someone mention something that has me a little scared. I built the enclosure out of MDF, but did not seal the inside completely all I did was seal the edges with aquarium sealant. Someone then told me that the glue used for mdf is toxic. I don't know how true that is. Will my tegu get sick from the enclosure like respiratory issues and such. Should i just put him in my 40 gal breeder tank for now? Sorry about the bad grammar as I am in a hurry and sorry for the stupid question. Thanks a lot!

John

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have never heard of MDF being toxic to tegu's.. I personaly have never used MDF tho.. But i think i acouple of people here has used it with no problems.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here is some info on it:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.templeinland.com/PDF/msds/mdf_msds.pdf">http://www.templeinland.com/PDF/msds/mdf_msds.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Formaldehyde- OSHA hazard rating for systemic acute and chronic exposures is highly toxic. Concentrated
formaldehyde when exposed to the intact skin causes irritation. Some exposure panels exposed to concentrations of
approximately 0.3 ppm have failed to produce irritation. Odor threshold for some data sources indicate an odor
threshold of 0.3 ppm. All applicable provisions of the OSHA formaldehyde standard should be implemented. Good
Industrial Hygiene procedures should be implemented.

It has Formaldehyde in it, I don't know about this stuff. I read somewhere on a forum that it is harmful to burrowing animals, but I can't find it now. I think it was a cornsnake fourm.

I have never used the stuff myself, but I did do a little research on it for you guys.

codingcomrade

5 Year Member
Thanks for replies guys, I will just put him in the breeder tank for now he should be fine since a 20 long is supposed to be fine for a baby for a little bit. I may just rebuild a new if I find something safe, or I saw on here someone built a cage out of mdf but put Linoleum on the boards that may work since it blocks off the mdf. I don't know so confused, but the baby tegu comes today so all should be well.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
Yes, the dust from MDF is highly deadly to anything and anyone. I use MDF enclosures, I properly seal the enclosures so there wont be any problem. I have yet to have any reptile die on me thats living in an MDF enclosure.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
RehabRalphy said:
Yes, the dust from MDF is highly deadly to anything and anyone. I use MDF enclosures, I properly seal the enclosures so there wont be any problem. I have yet to have any reptile die on me thats living in an MDF enclosure.

You might be right, I can not say as I have never used the stuff.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
codingcomrade said:
Thanks for replies guys, I will just put him in the breeder tank for now he should be fine since a 20 long is supposed to be fine for a baby for a little bit. I may just rebuild a new if I find something safe, or I saw on here someone built a cage out of mdf but put Linoleum on the boards that may work since it blocks off the mdf. I don't know so confused, but the baby tegu comes today so all should be well.

Don't use Linoleum. It produces a fume under heat. Use Ceramic tiles. It should work in sealing it.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Drylock is one hell of a sealant... I've known people who have used it to seal plywood tight enough to allow a wooden box to hold water.

Although when used to make a water tight wooden box the Drylock has been reported to peel off, but this does not happen unless Drylock is fully submerged. It holds up to extreme humidity wonderfully.

This is what I am using to seal my Tegu cage. I can speak from experience it's not toxic to fish so I am very confident it is Tegu safe as well.

PS - the guy at the store will probably tell you he cannot add color to it. He is mistaken. Just donÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢t add more than 2 oz of color to itÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.