• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Maxi/Guard for Mouth Rot

Alxsparks

Hi,

We recently had to take Finnegan (extreme giant b&w) to the vet for mouth rot. We started on Baytril, but after 3 weeks we've moved on to a few things, including Maxi/Guard Gel oraZn, which we need to use to clean his gums. We've been trying to swab his mouth with it using a q-tip, but neither of us seem really excited about the prospect (I mean, I'm trying to hold his mouth open with my fingers, how could that even go right?).

I've read that dog and cat owners use the bottle to apply a little to gums and then they lick it around their mouth. Anyone used this stuff before? Any better methods for getting it in the tegu's mouth?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Is it just the outside of his gums, like around the mouth? A bottle may dispense a lot. You can get a 3cc syringe from the vet to try it. or even a 1cc syringe from a pharmacy w/o a needle. They have given one to me before, but they do look at you kinda sideways when you ask. :)

Alxsparks

I think it's supposed to go on his gums inside his mouth (like toothpaste without the brushing). Not really sure how to do it, but we've been managing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu