• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Looks like stuck shed on base of tail

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Wat to do.it looks like Godzilla has a stuck she on the base of his tail but only in the lines of his tail but I can barely see it should I worry or not and wat to do please someone help

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Deac77

5 Year Member
Kirby has the same think one section is stuck it's like one link I've been soaking and everything idk how to help it along

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Yea I been doing the same thing I don't.know wat to do it's not bothering him it's weird because his tail base is smaller than the rest of his tail by a lil bit

Deac77

5 Year Member
Same that one link that has the shed is smaller than the rest his whole tail is about to shed again maybe ill get some shed ease from Petsmart

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wring it. When they're shedding, after a warm bath I use a damp towel (wrapped around) to wring their tail, toes too at times to make sure it all comes off. It takes some getting use to since alot of them don't like being touched around the base of the tail but they get use to it.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As long as you're not too rough and trying to restrain them at the same time they're freaking out they shouldn't drop it. Tail dropping is practically a last resort defense mechanism. When they feel threatened, are cornered and or restrained they drop their tail when it's grabbed. It's not something they want to do, it takes a lot of time and resources to grow it back. So when they do drop it there's a reason for it and it's usually fear or stress related. Also it's usually somewhere along the last 3/4's or 1/2 of the tail that they'll drop. It's never as high as the base where they store fat, that's too much of an important resource to loose. I can't remember but I think they have fracture points (or something like that) in their tail for just that purpose. Which is one reason why people use the base of the tail for support and restraint when holding larger tegus, they either can't or won't drop it.

Try it after a warm bath, they're more relaxed and the shed is soft and easier to remove. You can start with your fingers and see how it reacts or a towel.

Start from the base of the tail, wrap your hand or a damp towel around it with a little pressure not much, just enough for friction.

Then twist your wrist back and fourth down the tail adjusting for size as you go. Towards the end you can just roll it between your fingers.

You may get a few huffs or even a tail whip in the beginning (depending on the gu) but they usually relax once the shed starts to come off and they figure out what's going on.

If they don't like baths, and your gu is use to roaming you can do it while they're basking or just laying around some where.

Helping them shed is another way of bonding, getting them use to being handle and touched in places they're not use to or like to be touched. It's an uncomfortable stage so it doesn't take much for them to put one plus one together when you're helping them out.

It's something I picked up with my first gu and have done it with everyone since. Even with snakes I've gotten with stuck sheds, I usually don't wring them though. Just wrap them in a warm damp towel with their head out and let them slide through it.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Don't know if its a good enough pic

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349716377770.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349716377770.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 76
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349716396850.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349716396850.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 103
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349716415772.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349716415772.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 75

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I see it, that ring needs to come off. Even if you can just work on a small section down the middle of it like a zipper. Sometimes when they're in growth spurts they shed back to back and the tail is the last thing to go so they end up with more than one layer. Also the hardest to remove with all the scale ridges and crevasses it has compared to the rest of their body.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Now it looks like I see a little blood by where the stuck shed is. I'm getting nervous and want to fix it so wat to do

Deac77

5 Year Member
I just gave baths daily and then did what bubblez said and it worked I've also heard you can put cod liver oil on their food to help with sheds

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980