• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

lookin for quick answer on uth cant remember if take off....

bella60407

5 Year Member
with UTH do u take off protective cover on the side opposite the sticky side before using doesnt say on directions

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
if thats for a tegu, id suggest returning it to the store lol...its not needed and can be very dangerous for the animal, as they dont sense heat from underneath them. Thats what the 3rd eye is for on top of their head, to sense heat from above not underneath...your tegu could burn with an UTH. Just my 2cents.

bella60407

5 Year Member
sorry i was unclear, i was on my way out the door, it was for my friends gecko...i just got back from her house to help set up tank before she goes to get her new guy, the darn UTH is weird it isnt warming up like it should and it has a side thats sticky and another side that aslo looks like it might peel but i know it sholdnt ???? i think i'll have her take it back tomorrow and try another or go to different source

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
did u get the rainforest uth? cuz they dont give off any heat.. you need to get the desert one. they are much better.. and you only peel one side.. the sticky side

bella60407

5 Year Member
omg the dude gave us the one he said we needed,im pretty sure that he did give us rain forest one, like i said i am back at my house, but ill tell her first thing tomorrow, i want to go with just to see the look on the dudes face when we tell him he gave us wrong one wtf u think u have someone that knows what they're doing....
thanks for reply i guess im just as big of an idiot for not checking THANKS

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
omgtaylorg said:
Thats what the 3rd eye is for on top of their head, to sense heat from above not underneath..

I could have sworn that it was to warn them about birds/predators from above. I thought the "eye" could only tell if there was or wasn't light above and if there wasn't any for a second or so they could check?

Spencer

Tux

5 Year Member
I'm not sure how much study has been done on the parietal eye in various reptilian species but in general it is photoreceptive, some animals use it as a method for hormone production relating to thermal regulation (more so in birds which have the gland but not the actual organ I believe) but it does not directly detect heat, the rest of the nerves in an animals body can do that just fine. The issue with heat from below comes from the lack of nerve endings on the underside of basking animals in most cases. Now some animals have a third eye which is much more developed than others.

I theorize that it can detect light intensity to an extent but I have little to no proof of such. Bottom line is, it doesn't detect heat at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029