• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

longest shed retention ever...

krazyeyez

It has been about a year and a half since my b/r/b&w hybrid, DRAZIL, showed signs if shed retention. I have gone through it all... With some great help from bobby and others, and great advice, I was determined to get through it. I just had no idea it would go on so long. Finally, this week she began shedding on her own. I am so happy to see her beautiful high contrast white and pattern markings again. I almost forgot what she looked like.
So, let go through this... Initially, everyone told me "soak" and often, didn't help... Then after picking up my male, I talked with bobby at varnyard, he suggested diet; put oils into their food to break the layers and revitalize her skin, and thank you bobby it definitely helped... But didn't work. Next, it was to the vet, I live in a small town with only one vet that dies exotics and had never heard of a tegu before... Great. I found out that she had developed minor kidney problems from dehydration. I had to give her sub-q shots of saline lactaide, every day for over a month. She showed progress, but it didn't work. In talking to a friend, Jeremy bales, who moved to Arkansas to breed red tail boas, he recommended soak and oil baths with neosporine or olive oil, helped, but didn't work.
Finally, winter came, time to put the monsters down for a few months. This winter, in the desert, has been one of the longest... As it got warmer, I continued my routine; turkey balls with liver, cod liver oil, rats once a week, good long hot soaks, and I switched to mineral oil rub downs. The temperature continued to climb, my monsters started coming out and basking regularly, I let them soak up the desert sun. Out of no where, this week, the skin began to peel. I can only attribute this to perseverance.
To any of you out there that have had to go through this, or are going through it, stay motivated, stay on top of your baby's diet, rub their little toes to keep the ringing down. Most importantly, let them be. I think the most important factor in DRAZIL's recovery was hibernation... Yes, keep doing everything else. Soak them, feed them and right, keep humidity in the enclosure, pay the vet to tell you what you think you already know... Do what ever you have to do to maintain good husbandry, bc in the end, they're yours, and they're worth every penny and every hour.
IMAG0929.jpg

krazyeyez

Yup, and almost all clear but her tail by this afternoon... And now my male, nogard, is trying his best to mount her put in the yard :)

Aardbark

5 Year Member
The same exct thing happend to my Zilla. She retained her shed for about 9 months. I too tried everything and none of it seemed to help. But after a long time, her bad shed finaly started to peel and come off. The only thing I did differently that may or may not have helped, is I added Carnivore Care to her diet, I mixed it into her food. Her skin underneath was so beautifull. Now again it looks like she is going to have more troubles shedding, but as you say, as long as I keep up with good husbandry I know she will be ok.

krazyeyez

Argentine red x blue with high contrast white... My male has the same traits but shows more red... He git to her twice this weekend, so looks like there may be more coming soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980