• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Long time listener, first time caller.

Reflektr

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, what's up? My name's Travis, and I'm fairly new to the board. I've been flipping through it now for a few weeks, but this is my first post. I'm new to tegus, but I've been keeping reptiles, and have been fascinated by them almost since I could walk lol. Between my girlfriend and I, we currently have 2 bearded dragons (Josie and Zero), and a veiled chameleon (Merlin...But I call him Creepy). I've had iguanas and turtles in the past, and I don't like playing favorites, but so far, the beardies have to be the best I've kept. There are many species out there I may not see myself keeping, but I enjoy learning about them all equally. I travel between Illinois and Missouri quite a bit, and the good ol' thick green "Audobahn Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians" book (yeah, you know the one!) never seems to get too far from reach. Awhile back, I was online looking at random lizard pictures, and come acrossed one of an Argentine black and white tegu. I think most people on here will agree when I say it was love at first sight lol. I wanted to learn more, so here I am! This may seem like a silly question, but from what I understand so far; tegus are not monitors? I thought the stout body, scale pattern, forked tongue, and Jacobson's organ was part of what made a monitor a monitor. Reason why I ask, is I'm strongly considering a tegu as the next addition to the family, and I'd like to learn as much as I can before making any major decisions. That, and I just plain find them fascinating. So are they in a class all by themselves outside of the monitor family? I am very interested in learning more of what makes a tegu different than a monitor. I do know varanids have a longer neck, and most seem to come from a different region than tegus, but I know there's more to it. If anyone has more info on the differences, please feel free to chime in, I love to learn! Thanks for reading my massive first post!

-Travis

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
WELCOME! I'm not 100% sure what makes them different other than millions of years of being separated by an ocean. (tegus are new world and monitors old world species) It seems that both lizards have a bit in common because they filled the same niche as there old world look alikes. Tegus can drop there tail and will regrow it unlike monitors. I can't think of too much at the moment though sorry I'm just a little sleepy :p

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
WELCOME!!!

Tegu's have a tamer personality. Monitors mostly just want to be left alone. We have a 3ft Sav. who tolerates handling but hisses at me a looks like he wants to eat me! Our Tegu's don't always want to held but they are more tolerant and I trust them much more.

Varnyard (the owner of the forum) could give you a better explanation since he started with varnids and converted to Tegu's after he discovered them.

Reflektr

5 Year Member
Haha, I stole the reference from an old Bob and Tom bit lol. It's about all I could think of at 2 am! Cool, that's some of the stuff I was looking for. I appreciate the responses. I too have got the notion that tegus seemed more docile than most monitors. I've read before that the monitors that were "tame" were just cold, and only needed to warm up before they'd begin chasing Dr. Allen Grant again. The youtube video of the little toddlers feeding a full-grown sav beef hearts from their mouths is kind of eerie after seeing the damage they're truly capable of. After some further investigation into this species difference matter (I couldn't sleep last night lol) I read that tegus are actually a member of the Teiid family, and there are 7 known species of tegus within this family. In this family also resides the ameiva family (around 30 species), whiptail lizard family (around 60 species), caiman lizards, crocodilurus (shinasaurs), dicrodon (desert tegu), and false monitors. I've also read some species within this family are capable of parthenogenesis. Isn't that wild? Just thought I'd share.

-Travis

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont