• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Little Bugs

IMJ

So u poked my head in my Tegus enclosure this morning to mist and change his water and I noticed that there are little white bugs sitting around and jumping on the top of the water. What the hell could they be? Mites? I thought mights were black? I have never had this issue with any of my animals and I need advice. Where did they come from? How do I get rid of them? Here's some info..... His substrate is topsoil and sand mix (about 3 or 4") and then 8" of cypress mulch on top. Tegu is about 33" 1600g and eats/sleeps/poops/sheds with no issues. I'm terrified at the prospect of changing out all of his substrate. I'm not noticing any of these things outside of his dish. The water is about 2 days old.

IMJ

Update..... I just took him out and wiped him down. Didn't find anything. Gave him a bath in a new tub and found nothing.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are the bugs mostly around the water? It doesn't sound like the mites I've dealt with in the past, to be honest. Could it be from leftover food in the enclosure? Do they appear on or near your tegu? He'd probably be irritated and soaking in the water if he had mites on him...

Derek Doel

I have noticed the same thing from using cypress mulch. I ended up having to clean the whole cage, vacuum,and wipe down everything. I didn't notice that many but rather be safe than sorry. I don't feed mine in his enclosure, so pretty sure it's not from food, I am leaning towards the cypress mulch as the issue

IMJ

Definitely not from good. Also, I have never seen my gu soak in his water, ever. I did some googling and I think that they are indeed from the mulch and called wood mites which are completely harmless. I'll keep an eye on it. It haven't seen any since I changed his water but I'm sure they are there.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wood mites, yep. I've dealt with them in the past and they're completely harmless - as you said. No need to worry or change out the substrate, but your tegus water should be changed out daily.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980