• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Lighting Question

Deafbum

5 Year Member
I am starting my tegus 8x4x4 cage which hill have about 2 feet of substrate. Could someone with a similar set-up tell me what bulbs(wattage,brand,type) they use to heat their cage?

Also, is it ok to use redwood mulch(AKA gorrila hair) as a substrate? I know some people on this site use it as a substitute for cypress mulch.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would go with the 160 powersun bulbs, as for the redwood, I have never used it.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
For a big cage I use 4ft ReptiSun 10.0 tubes and a 90W halogen bulb for basking. Halogen bulbs put out much more heat that incandescents.

LouDog760

5 Year Member
I'm gonna go with the 4ft ReptiSun 10.0 tubes for the 7ft3ft3ft cage I'm gonna get. But till I get that bigger cage i'll be using a 3ft2ft2ft cage. Should I just get a mercury vapor bulb for that one? And could it be used threw out the hole cage? If I put it to one corner of the cage, could it be used as a basking spot and put out enough uvb threw out the rest of the cage?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I found a 100W MVB gives off the right amount of heat if the Tegu is about 12", which is the minimum recommended distance. Young growing Tegu's need lots heat & UVB. When they reach their adult size the UVB is not as important.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
LouDog760 said:
Thanks, Dave! Whats do think is a good mercury vapor bulb?
MegaRays are great. The T-Rex Active UV Heat is supposed to be the commercial version but I've had alot of failures lately. The Zoo-Med bulb is said to be not as good but I have one I've been using for a few months without a problem.

Beasty

5 Year Member
Yes, I like MegaRay too but it would be advisable to have them on a good powerstrip. Power fluctuations can cause failure and cost tons of money. The last place I lived ate lightbulbs like mad. I just lost a LCD TV here possibly due to a crappy power strip and power flux.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Beasty said:
Yes, I like MegaRay too but it would be advisable to have them on a good powerstrip. Power fluctuations can cause failure and cost tons of money. The last place I lived ate lightbulbs like mad. I just lost a LCD TV here possibly due to a crappy power strip and power flux.
That could be a good point. Any Electricians out there????

LouDog760

5 Year Member
Yeah I live in La Quinta, its a very popular city. So I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be a problem. How much is a good power strip?

Beasty

5 Year Member
A Lightning Arrester, not just a power strip would be most advisable I would think. Even a cheaper model would be better than a $5 strip with el cheapo fuse in it. I got one from Wal-Mart I think for like $20 or less. You can find 'em over with the adapters for your electronics. I've been forced to be cheap but going the cheap way out for certain things can be expensive in the end. So one used for electronics with a warranty for $$$$$$$$ worth of crap would likely be best.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
I think he was saying that you need to ask the electrician about the power fluctuations,

Anyway, my enclosure is 8'x2.5'x2.5' with about 14" of cypress mulch that the tegu loves BTW. I have two 3" 10.0 Reptisun Bulbs and two Daylight bulbs for the plants that I keep in it and additional lighting. I just have one heating bulb, nothing fancy at one end that he just lays under it to get warm and when the doors are shut which they are most the time, the temp rises pretty fast in it.

MY set up works just fine except I wasnt to get a halogen bulb heat lamp as they just recently I believe came on the market for reptile use, the incandecent just doesn't get as hot as I would like it to as far as it is from where the tegu sits under it.

One critical piece of advice!!!---- Look around online before purchasing the bulbs that you want to buy, It may be a bit more trouble but it saves you 100% on the price end. The Petco and petsmart here in town, their bulbs are almost three times as expencive as they are on online, so I order my bulbs online only.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ColdThirst said:
I think he was saying that you need to ask the electrician about the power fluctuations,

MY set up works just fine except I wasnt to get a halogen bulb heat lamp as they just recently I believe came on the market for reptile use, the incandecent just doesn't get as hot as I would like it to as far as it is from where the tegu sits under it.
I was thinking about asking questions on power spikes causing halogen and incandescent bulbs to burn out and how to prevent it.

There's no need to buy special reptile halogen bulbs. I use GE PAR 38 90W halogen floodlights from Home Depot. They put out lots of heat, a bright white light and are rated for 6000 hours.

LouDog760

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I'll make sure to get a good strip! Where do I get the fixture holder for like the reptisun 10.0 bulbs? At a good price?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use cheap ShopLights from Home Depot, about $10. But make sure it works with T12 (1.5" dia.) bulbs. Most fixtures only work with T8 (1") bulbs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980