• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

leash training

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Both. We only use a leash in public, mostly just in case they get startled and decide to run off (it's never happened). And so people feel safer because they're "restrained".

ptviperz

5 Year Member
I think leash trained means your tegu isn't doing constant death rolls whilst you are trying to potty train him ;-)

My Teg goes where he wants to go.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ours were adults and we didn't have much resistance. For a juvi I'd guess whenever you feel you can hold them well enough to get the harness on. It won't be easy and you don't want to loose their trust.

Schnab

5 Year Member
Yeh, trying to leash train a juvie just dosen't sound too promising. That's why I'm gonna wait a lil bit.

ptviperz

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Schnab said:
Yeh, trying to leash train a juvie just dosen't sound too promising. That's why I'm gonna wait a lil bit.
He gotta learn sometime!

I'd start as soon as you can get the harness on him......make sure he's close to some 'cover'. I think they freak out because they feel exposed and vulnerable if they are in a wide open yard.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ptviperz said:
I'd start as soon as you can get the harness on him......make sure he's close to some 'cover'. I think they freak out because they feel exposed and vulnerable if they are in a wide open yard.

WHOA!! Don't try it in the yard! Try in his enclosure or in a Tegu proof room (bathroom). For a few minutes only, just get him used to it being on and learn it's not bad. Taking a young Tegu outside (who's never been outside) is a sure way to get him to freak out.

hoosier

5 Year Member
no joke. Mine FLIPED when i took him out for the first time with his leash. lucikly the leash was on well because he bolted the first time he even heard a noise. so if the leash isnt on well you may have a running panicked tegu on your hands

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
nivek5225 said:
I would love to see a vid of someone with their tegu on a leash... Especially one of your blues Dave!!!
It's a little cold and snowing outside! And they're sleeping alot lately.

shabazz

5 Year Member
when i took my male out side he filped out ran and tryed to bite me i got him and took him in the house and he was fine. i never took him outside again. so is this the way hes going to act again being that that was last summer and hes almost a year older?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
shabazz said:
when i took my male out side he filped out ran and tryed to bite me i got him and took him in the house and he was fine. i never took him outside again. so is this the way hes going to act again being that that was last summer and hes almost a year older?
The B&W you bought from us did the same thing when we brought him out at about 2 months old in a container. He acted like he was on fire!!! A year later he was alot bigger and more curious than fearful. We still used a leash since he had only been out once before. Use the leash just in case he gets startled and bolts! Our adults have never had that problem but they were 3 or older. I have no idea if they had ever been outside before.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
I tried one of those and for most lizards work well,(not great) I made my own harness from basically 2 of those. Kinda tricky but i use the leg straps for both front and back legs. My Tegu was a master at finding a way to escape from just the single front leg pair. I am still not sure why he/she cant or does not try to escape from the double set i use at this time. What i did was the front set goes on as normally would around the front legs, Then i put on the back ones as if thay to were front legs, I have a small string that is tied to the top (tegus back) of each harness tying them together. loose enough to get a finger between the lizards back and string. I am not sure exactly why it works so well and the tegu seems comfortable and walks around just fine. probably sounds more gody then it is but i works. Also the leash part that you hold is cut off on the back set. Another thing is to that my tegu is almost 3 feet long and around 4 inches wide so its not a little guy anymore.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mr.tegu said:
I tried one of those and for most lizards work well,(not great) I made my own harness from basically 2 of those. Kinda tricky but i use the leg straps for both front and back legs. My Tegu was a master at finding a way to escape from just the single front leg pair. I am still not sure why he/she cant or does not try to escape from the double set i use at this time. What i did was the front set goes on as normally would around the front legs, Then i put on the back ones as if thay to were front legs, I have a small string that is tied to the top (tegus back) of each harness tying them together. loose enough to get a finger between the lizards back and string. I am not sure exactly why it works so well and the tegu seems comfortable and walks around just fine. probably sounds more gody then it is but i works. Also the leash part that you hold is cut off on the back set. Another thing is to that my tegu is almost 3 feet long and around 4 inches wide so its not a little guy anymore.
PICS???!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.