• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

leash or harness trained?

playlboi

5 Year Member
i was wondering if anybody in here has their tegu leash trained or harness trained and if so, how did you manage to train it and what kind of leash did you use? i want to start training mine, since the guy isn't interested in hibernating. :)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our adults accepted it very quickly. Our 8 month old hasn't been tried on a harness in a few months. We only see him a couple of times on the weekend.

We use the standard reptile harnesses available at most pet stores. Then we attach that to a small retractable dog leash. We only use them when we taken them in public.

This was her first time with a harness.
100_4414_.jpg

100_4412_.jpg

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks! It's much easier when you start with an older calm Tegu vs. a 2 month old spaz! They seem to calm down alot after they go through "puberty" at 6-8 months. Now I can actually pick up our 8 month old without getting charged or bit!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Great pics Dave! I can't wait til spring/summer when it's finally warm again here. I plan on leash training and clicker training if I can get enough information on it. By then my guy should be 10 months old so hopefully he will be up for the challenge!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks! I'm thinking clicker training is alot of work. If I can't get my kids to come on command, why should I think I can get a Tegu to do it??!!

playlboi

5 Year Member
haha good point dave. i bought some clickers, i put my tegus up to it. they aren't showing any interest. although my tegu is starting to respond to his name!

playlboi

5 Year Member
i'm trying to associate the name calling to the clicker. but if they come, i should use treats on them. good tip. thanks!

COWHER

5 Year Member
I'm using the clicker to tell him when I'm bringing him to eat. he catching on cuz when i come to get him and I'm clicking away he lets me get him with out a problem. but if i don't click he knows hes gettin a bath and tail whips me when i go in to the bathroom. :lol: :lol:

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hmmm when I finally try clicker training I am only gonna work on it outside. More so he will know to stay with me and follow me. I don't want any negative side effects like you had Cowher where he only associates it with the food. I want inside time to be play time and cuddling time. I just put him in a separate tank to feed so hopefully he will start to associate that with feeding.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
But doing it outside presents a whole new world of distractions! They are very aware of their surroundings. Ours look around with any sound. They seem to attract some big birds to the area when they're out.

playlboi

5 Year Member
I took my tegu out the other day and the boy went ballistic on me. Lucky that I read posts about bringing tegus out their first time and so I kind of expected it. I also had him in a clear small aquarium. But he was really excited about the sun and the enviroment. He calmed down though, after a while. I was sitting with him and talking to him for about 45 minutes. Brought him out a second time and he seemed fine. I could pet him and rub his head. It was just that first time. Something to look out for when you bring your guy out the first time Dragon.

dorton

5 Year Member
I took these pics about a week or so ago. She did great, just put it on and guided, not pulled her where I was going. When she starts spending more time out of the dig I will work on it more. I am using a iguana harness, and if fits like it should. The ferret harness on little guy does not do so well, but even this big iguana harness works well for him.

tegu.jpg

tegu1.jpg

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't like leashes with any herp. Nice pics though, dorton. She has nice coloring.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029