• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Laws Governing Private Possession of Exotic Animals

Nero

5 Year Member
Hmmm I dont know if ours is totally accurate I think we now have to get a permit to own exotic cats like those Cervals even though I think they are ugly as heck. But for reptiles there is no regulation in my state.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
As long as it isn't indigenous to the state. I can have it. But hots are strictly not allowed. I can chain a tiger in my front yard but I can't own a box turtle. Go figure!!!

Nero

5 Year Member
Yeah I know about the turtles in the south eastern states like Florida and its surrounding states. Whats up with it being illegal to have turtles there? That just makes no sense at all.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Well in a way it does. They are going extinct because of people picking them up and keeping them. Each turtle in a given area is the foundation stock for years too come. Most years they don't breed. They're numbers have to be highly concentrated to breed properly. Each one taken makes that less likely. They're life cycle is slow and the numbers are dwindling. There are other reasons. But that is the main one. Box turtles have a homing instinct. Like a pigeon does. If he is removed . Then it will likely not eat well and die eventually. Even if you turn it loose in your yard. It will die. Because they won't eat or drink until they get back to their home range. Most boxies never travel more than 250 yards from where they were born. So if a person does get one and decides to release it. Take it back to where you caught it to do it and then they will be alright. If not then it is sure a death sentence for it.

Nero

5 Year Member
Really I didnt know turtles were like that. I guess that goes for the sea turtles that swims thousands of miles to go lay their eggs in the same area time after time

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Pretty much yes. I used to raise them and sell them. I got caught and it cost me $1250. I learned how to keep them alive. Breed them and turn most of the babies I didn't sell loose. And they said I was destroying them. I mad me mad at first . Then I realized that I was perpetuating thing by doing . What I was doing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus